script error when click on external link

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Maxine Dye

script error when click on external link

Unread post by Maxine Dye »

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help with this:
I have a jump on my Help windows setup (Configuration > Common Prop's > Help Windows).
When the generated chm is opened, although the link opens, a script error appears, with the following details:
Line: 1
Char: 26390
Error: Object doesn't support property or method 'attachEvent'
Code: 0
URL https://s7.adthis.com/static/sh.7c3d802d.html
there's also a prompt to confirm continue running scripts or not.

I have no idea what's causing this or where the code for this page is located as it all seems automated, so I'm not sure how to proceed to resolve.
any input would be greatly appreciated!
thankyou
Maxine
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: script error when click on external link

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Maxine,

That link is a link to a spam, tracking, adware or malware site that is blocked with a severe warning by all my malware filters. Did you add it to your help yourself? It looks as though it is trying to do things that are not supported in CHM, which is much more limited than normal web pages. That is probably a good thing in this case... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Maxine Dye

Hi Tim, no I didn't - I inherited the help and it was noticed by one of our developers yesterday.
There's a possibility my predecessor who was keen on gaining statistics might have put it there to track usage of the help.... but when you set the jump you can only enter the website, which I did, so I have no idea where the link is picking this url up from.
I'm assuming the url listed is what I would need to look for to remove? I don't know where it is being called from in the help. Any ideas where to start looking?

thankyou
Maxine
Tim Green
Site Admin

Maxine Dye wrote:I'm assuming the url listed is what I would need to look for to remove? I don't know where it is being called from in the help. Any ideas where to start looking
Sorry, if I'd known you hadn't inserted it I would have included that information directly. In Help & Manual 6 you can find this in Configuration > Common Properties > Help Windows , then select the HTML Help Options tab. The link will be defined as the target of one of the buttons in the User Defined Buttons box at the lower right. Just delete the target and then disable the corresponding button by unchecking its box on the left.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Maxine Dye

Hi Tim, sorry, the reason for my query, is that despite updating the jump details, the issue is not resolving....
It took me some time to locate the Help Windows page yesterday as I wasn't sure what I was looking for... Originally there were 2 sites listed on the jumps. I deleted both, as 1 issue was a link was pointing to an obsolete location, then re-added the link to the site that was correct. But neither original link shows the url that is displayed in the error. This is why I'm confused about where it is coming from...
Hope you can offer further insight!
thankyou
Maxine
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Maxine,

Do you still get the error if you completely delete the targets of the jump buttons instead of updating them? Check that first, to make sure it is really somewhere else. If you continue to have problems you can mail me the project and the skin you're using at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and I'll check them for you. I don't need any graphics etc. just the project in single-file hmxz format and the skin file. Please include a reference to this thread and the HM version you're using so that I can place it. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Maxine Dye

Hi Tim, if I delete the links the issue disappears. For the mean time, I'll leave them out.
If I decide to investigate further, I'll send you a file.
thankyou for your help
regards

Maxine