Is it possible to "recover" files from an epub or any other

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Angelita

Is it possible to "recover" files from an epub or any other

Unread post by Angelita »

I had my Pc formatted and so I lost all my data.
My question: is it possible to recover my hmx or hmxz file from a finished ebbok? Is it possible from any other format? :?:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to "recover" files from an epub or any ot

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Angelita,

You can access the HTML files in an ePub eBook easily and then import those to a new Help & Manual project as HTML. Just change the extension of the ePub book from .epub to .zip (an ePub is really just a ZIP archive). Then unpack all the HTML files in the OPL folder inside the zip to an empty folder. After that, create a new project in Help & Manual and choose to create it importing data from regular HTML files. Choose the folder with the extracted HTML files and you can then import those to the new project following the instructions displayed. You will need to do some editing after importing, because the HTML in your output isn't really designed for that.

For the future, remember to make regular backups on a medium that isn't in your computer -- for example an external drive. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.