Filtering Images in the same topic for two different product

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

raghunomix

Filtering Images in the same topic for two different product

Unread post by raghunomix »

Hi,
Seasons Greetings!

I have a situation!

I have a single help project which is being used for 2 products.
Now there is a topic which has two versions of a screenshot. For example, if there are 5 tabs in the screen of one screenshot, the other one has 4.

Is there a way that I can just filter just the images that the respective screenshot is displayed in the corresponding product.

Please let me know if this is not making any sense.

:vconfused:

Any help will really get me moving!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Filtering Images in the same topic for two different pro

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Raghu,

You can achieve this very easily with the conditional text tool. First define two conditional tags for your two versions i("build options") in Configuration > Common Properties > Custom Builds. Let's say you are calling them VERSION1 and VERSION2 (you can call them anything you like).

Then insert the two different screenshots in your page. Select the first one by clicking on it, then select the [IF> conditional text tool in Write > Insert Object. Select IF at the left and VERSION1 from the list in the middle and click on OK. Repeat for the other image with the other tag.

Then when you publish, select VERSION1 or VERSION2 from the Include Options box in the Publish screen to include the images and content tagged with that build option in the output. If you select both, everything will be included. You can also use these options for entire topics.

See this chapter in the help for full details on Help & Manual's extensive conditional output features:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... itions.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andy121070

Unread post by Andy121070 »

This works very nicely, we have the same tagging to include developer notes into the document. When we then publish to the client, they don't see the developer notes but when we publish for in-house use, we can include the developer notes. Very nice feature.
Regards
Andy
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Andy,

You're welcome! Note that there is another feature for in-house and proofreading notes: If you use the author notes feature (note tool in Write > Insert), the notes are normally only visible at design time, i.e. in the Help & Manual editor. However, you can also publish a PDF for in-house proofing and commenting that includes the notes as PDF annotations. You can activate that option in the Publish screen when you are publishing a project that contains author comments. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.