Issues with PDF creation (TOC)

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

droberts

Issues with PDF creation (TOC)

Unread post by droberts »

Hello,

I am having an issue with creating a PDF where the TOC has a couple of issues. (Screenshots included)

One issue is that one of the headings has a large space between the rest of the headings.

The second issue is a small dot appearing above one of the main headings. The dot is a more square dot than the ellipses used above.

I included a screenshot of my setup in Manual Designer.

It's important to note that these issues are not present on other documents I've created that use the same manual designer file.

Where is this coming from? I can only assume it's something in the manual designer (I've checked through the text itself and can't find any extra spaces or dots), but I can't locate where it's coming from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Issues with PDF creation (TOC)

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi "D",

In Help & Manual 6 there are no automatic dot leaders as in HM7, so they need to be created with multiple text objects. The heading variables on the left are in one object with a white background, overlapping the page number and dot leader object on the right. The dot leader is simply a finite number of dots entered manually. If you have too many dots, or if the overlap is placed a little off, you will get projecting dots as shown in your examples. You just need to adjust the number of dots.

The space you are seeing is caused by a combination of the placement of the text objects in your bands and possibly also the anchoring settings. Rather than trying to re-explain it here, it's easier to direct you to the documentation. Look in the help of Manual Designer, in "Designing a Template > Table of Contents". You need to look at the "Vertical Spacing in Bands" section, which also covers the anchoring issue.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
droberts

Re: Issues with PDF creation (TOC)

Unread post by droberts »

Thanks Tim.

I erased and added dots, but that didn't seem to affect much for this particular problem. Anchoring the heading to the top seemed to do the trick for both problems, however. In any event, that worked well, so thank you.