Image Captioning

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

droberts

Image Captioning

Unread post by droberts »

Hello,

I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to do proper image captioning in Help and Manual. I have looked through the help files and I feel I'm either missing something obvious or otherwise am doing something wrong.

I am using the Image Caption to create a caption underneath the image. I want the caption centered with the image. The closest I've been able to get is actually to make a table and shrink the table to the image size and then put the caption below it, but obviously this is not ideal.

Can someone direct me to the area of help that can help me with this issue, or if that doesn't exist, give me some tips on what I may be doing wrong?
Simon Dismore

Re: Image Captioning

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

It works for me using a new project: I tried a variety of approaches but I couldn't prevent the caption from being centered in the editor and when published to WebHelp.

The only possibility I can imagine is that you are creating the captions independently of inserting the images, and then manually formatting them with the 'Image Caption' style. If so, that's not the correct way to define a caption: see step 5 below. If not, then good luck!

My test steps were:
  1. Start Help & Manual (I was using 6.5.5. build 3019)
  2. From the File menu, select 'Create an empty new project'
  3. Accept the defaults
  4. Start a new line
  5. Insert an image with a caption, accepting the defaults. You define the caption using the 'Caption (text below picture)' textbox in the Open Image dialog.
    If your results match mine, the caption will be centered
  6. Type a paragraph of text that extends over at least a line, terminated with a newline.
  7. Place the cursor at the beginning of the paragraph, just before the first character
  8. Insert an image with a caption, accepting the defaults
    The caption will be centered
  9. Place the cursor at the end of the paragraph, just after the last character.
  10. Insert an image with a caption, accepting the defaults
  11. Place the cursor somehwere inside the paragraph, within a word.
  12. Insert an image with a caption, accepting the defaults
  13. Double-click each image in turn to display the picture properties dialog
  14. Each time change the Alignment setting from 'With text' to 'Left of text'
    Each caption will remain centered
  15. Double-click each image in turn to display the picture properties dialog
  16. Each time change the Alignment setting from 'Left of text' to 'Right of text'
    Each caption will remain centered
  17. Publish to WebHelp using the default (no skin)
    If your results match mine, all the captions will remain centered
Last edited by Simon Dismore on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droberts

Re: Image Captioning

Unread post by droberts »

Thank you Simon. That is exactly what I needed!!! So simple but I just kept missing it.