Can't find libapr_tsvn32.dll

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Susan Gallagher

Can't find libapr_tsvn32.dll

Unread post by Susan Gallagher »

Help! I'm dead in the water!
I needed a new laptop, which means a switch from Windows 8.1 to 10 <sigh>
I installed Tortoise SVN and checked out my projects and installed H&M (version 6) and entered the serial number and activation code, then relaunched H&M.

I can neither open an existing project nor create a new one. Whenever I try to write to disk, the error message is the same:

Cannot load C:\Users\<username>Documents\<filename>. Please ensure that you have sufficient rights to open the project.

When I show details, it says: ProjectOpen: 2 The system cannot find the file specified: libapr_tsvn.dll

I can't find that file on my 8.1 machine, but H&M doesn't have any problems there.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Can't find libapr_tsvn32.dll

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Susan,

This issue is caused by changes in the current versions of Tortoise SVN. Current versions of Tortoise no longer install some needed runtime components automatically, and versions later than 1.92 have radically changed their program structure without documenting it, and this has caused serious problems.

If you are not using SubVersion for your Help & Manual projects you just need to switch it off in Help & Manual. Open HM, go to View > Program Options > Subversion and disable SVN support. Then restart the program. After that everything will work fine again.

If you ARE using SubVersion you need to do one or possibly two things:

1) Downgrade to Tortoise 1.9.2 or earlier

You can get the installer from the Tortoise repository on SourceForge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tortoisesvn/files/

Sorry about this -- it was completely unexpected and caught us out too. ;-)

2) If you continue to have problems, you also need to install the missing runtime components from Microsoft manually. You can download them on this page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=48145

VERY IMPORTANT: If you are using 64-bit Windows you must install BOTH runtime packages -- i.e. both the 32-bit and the 64-bit packages. This is necessary because even if you are using 64-bit Tortoise, the program still needs the 32-bit runtimes to interact with 32-bit programs like Help & Manual.

Restart Windows after installing. After that the problem should be fixed.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Susan Gallagher

Unread post by Susan Gallagher »

Yes, disconnecting version control worked! THANK YOU!!!
Andy121070

Unread post by Andy121070 »

Trying to upgrade to TortoiseSVN 1.9.3 using the steps you outlined here.

Installed TortoiseSVN 1.9.3
Installed x64 redistributables
Installed x86 redistributables
Rebooted the machine.

When I try to open my project file, I get the error 'Cannot load F:\Dev\my project.hmxp! Please ensure that you have sufficient rights to open the project.'. When I expand the Details of the message it states 'ProjectOpen: 2 The system cannot find the file specified: libapr_tsvn32.dll'.

Have I don't something wrong? How can I resolve this issue?

(Running Windows 10 Pro x64 with Help and Manual 6.5.6 Build 3027)
Regards
Andy
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Andy,
Andy121070 wrote: Have I don't something wrong?

Yes. You didn't read the instructions. 8) Upgrading to 1.9.3 is what causes the problem. You need to downgrade to Tortoise 1.9.2 or earlier. Get the installer here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tortoisesvn/files/
How can I resolve this issue?
Downgrade to Tortoise 1.9.2, and read the instructions in the posting above carefully again.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andy121070

Does that mean I only need to do this between the 1.9.1 to 1.9.2 upgrade or will I have the same problem again if I upgrade from 1.9.2 to 1.9.3?
Regards
Andy
Tim Green
Site Admin

Andy121070 wrote:Does that mean I only need to do this between the 1.9.1 to 1.9.2 upgrade or will I have the same problem again if I upgrade from 1.9.2 to 1.9.3?
The problem is Tortoise 1.9.3 and above. If you install 1.9.3 you will not be able to use SubVersion with Help & Manual. DO NOT UPGRADE TO 1.9.3. And if you have, you must downgrade to 1.9.2.
Regards,

Private support:
Andy121070

Thanks for the clarification. That has helped.

Is this something that Help and Manual will be looking at (as to why we can't upgrade to 1.9.3) or will it be a Tortoise issue?
Regards
Andy
Tim Green
Site Admin

Andy121070 wrote:Is this something that Help and Manual will be looking at (as to why we can't upgrade to 1.9.3) or will it be a Tortoise issue?
The issue is caused by Tortoise making undocumented changes to the structure of the program and the DLLs that Help & Manual accesses in order to use the necessary functions for integration. Our developers are working for a solution to this for Help & Manual 7. Help & Manual 6 is no longer officially under development, so I am not sure whether any fixes will be backported to that or not. We will have to see how problematic the whole affair turns out to be.
Regards,

Private support:
Andy121070

Thanks for the feedback Tim. Would appreciate an update once you know what the score is.
Regards
Andy
Oscar Peterson

Unread post by Oscar Peterson »

I know where you can get this file. Because I had the same problem with missed .dll file and download it from http://fix4dll.com/d3dx9_39_dll this is hte fastest way to fix this error without any additional tools or software.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Oscar,
Oscar Peterson wrote:I know where you can get this file. Because I had the same problem with missed .dll file and download it from http://fix4dll.com/d3dx9_39_dll this is hte fastest way to fix this error without any additional tools or software.
Please DON'T try to add this file from another source! Tortoise uses customized versions of these DLLs and patching things together from different sources can cause serious errors. This also applies to getting the files from different versions of Tortoise itself, because these files are customized for each specific version.
Regards,

Private support: