Using keyword index style from a skin

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rob van Haarst

Using keyword index style from a skin

Unread post by Rob van Haarst »

Hi,

I have a big help project B that I publish from H&M 6 as WebHelp. B has 10 included projects, among which project A.
I don't use skins anywhere.
My problem is the Keyword Index. It does not have an input field for typing a keyword.
I like the way this works in skin HM6-OnlineHelp-Webhelp+CHM.hmskin.
So I opened this skin and copied-and-pasted all the code from the "HTML Source Code" tab in Configuration, Publishing Options, Webhelp, Keyword Index (it was necessary to first save a copy of the skin to a local dir using File, Save As) to that same tab of project A, overwriting what was there (it was just to see - B is huge, and A is only small). In the publication (of project A only), I got the desired Index behavior with the input field. Great.
Now I copy-pasted the same code to the same place in B. But after publishing B, I find the "old" Index is still there and the "old" HTML Source Code for Keyword Index in B has surreptitiously reverted to the "old" code!
Why did it work for A but not for B? What am I missing? Is it essential to do the replacement in all 11 project files??
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Using keyword index style from a skin

Unread post by Tim Green »

You need to do the editing in the skin, not in the project. When you use a skin it replaces all the templates in your project and any matching templates or settings in your project are ignored. Also, be careful about copying and pasting code between different skins. It may work, but it is quite possible that the code from one skin also depends on other components and additional files from that skin and won't work properly without them.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.