Previous Titles Shosws in Header instead of Next header

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

amorel

Previous Titles Shosws in Header instead of Next header

Unread post by amorel »

I have searched in Forums but can"t seem to find an answer to this problem.
I am producing a PDF document using a mnl template. In the header of my pages, I have <%HEADING2%> on the left and <%HEADING3%> on the right.
The <%HEADING2%> of the previous topic says 'First Topic'. When I arrive on a new page with a new <%HEADING2%> topic called 'Second Topic', the header displays the name of the previous one (i.e. First Topic) instead of the new one on this page which is 'Second Topic'. My clients find it odd and so do I. In Word, it is possible to set whether the previous title will be shown in the header or the next one.
Is there a way to give instructions in the template that the header variable will read the new one instead of the previous? Thank you
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Previous Titles Shosws in Header instead of Next header

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Amorel,

The most common causes for this are manual page breaks in the wrong place, empty paragraphs at the end of your topics or both.

Normally, you should only use manual page breaks in exceptional cases, and if you put page breaks at the ends of topics you will have problems. The correct place for a manual topic page break is in the very first paragraph at the beginning of a topic. For page breaks between topics you use the settings in the Page Options of the Topics section in the print manual template (select the Topics section in Manual Designer, then open Page Options in the Pages menu). There is a table at the bottom of the Page Options there where you can set the automatic page break options for every topic level.

The other cause are empty paragraphs at the end of a topic. When this happens and there are no page breaks between topics you can get one or more invisible empty paragraphs from the previous topic at the top of the page. Then the beginning of that page still belongs to the previous topic, and so its title appears in the header. The easiest way to solve this is to turn on paragraph marks in View > Program Options > Editor and leave it on. Then you can always see where there are unnecessary empty paragraphs and delete them.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
amorel

Re: Previous Titles Shosws in Header instead of Next header

Unread post by amorel »

Thank you! It solved the problem and works exactly as you said.