Linking an empty topic to a subtopic

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

droberts

Linking an empty topic to a subtopic

Unread post by droberts »

On several topics in a help file, I started primary topics where the information doesn't begin until the subtopics. I'm wondering if there's a way to allow the user to click the main topic and have it jump to the sub-topic in the HTML version. Is there a way to have the topic automatically jump to the first subtopic?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Linking an empty topic to a subtopic

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi D,

Your screenshot shows HTML Help, i.e. a Microsoft CHM file in the CHM viewer. That old viewer cannot do what you ask for here, and that is one of the reasons you should generally consider these "chapters without text" to be deprecated. This is not a restriction in Help & Manual; it can't force the Microsoft viewer to do something that it can't do.

Generally speaking, chapter without text nodes are not good for navigation because of this. The user clicks on them and nothing happens -- the topic display remains as it was before, and that looks like an error. In addition to this they are not allowed at all in eBooks (Kindle and ePub/iBooks eBooks).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
droberts

Re: Linking an empty topic to a subtopic

Unread post by droberts »

All right, good to know. Thanks Tim.