Context sensitive CHM opens with Script Error

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Aizaz Haque

Context sensitive CHM opens with Script Error

Unread post by Aizaz Haque »

Hello,

I am hoping to get some help on the following issue.

I am using Help & Manual 6.5 (Build 3027) and creating a context sensitive CHM. I am using Windows 7 with IE 11 (Version 11.0.9600.18376) . When the .chm file is opened from its output folder, it displays perfectly. All the toggles work fine, all the external links work fine, no errors whatsoever. If the first page of the help is triggered from the software that works perfectly fine as well.

However, if i open the context sensitive help on any one of the pages using the Help ID/Anchor (for example the options page of my help is triggered from the help button of options), the .chm help opens with the following Script Error.

Line: 51
Char: 5
Error: Unable to get property 'getAttribute' or undefined or null reference
Code: 0
URL: mk :@MSITStore:C:\help\abc.chm::/helpman_topicinit.js

There's also a prompt to confirm continue running scripts or not. The error appears twice whether I click Yes or No.

I've gone through the forum and have seen the issue mostly with orphaned toggles. In my specific case, the script error only comes up if the help is opened using any of the Anchors used for context sensitivity. The help works perfectly fine when i double click on the actual .chm file, and or if the help is invoked without the context sensitive part (I hope that makes sense) . In any case, I've checked all the toggles as well as the compiler messages. there are no errors in it.

The slightly weird part IMO is that the help displaying perfectly fine when it is used as a standalone CHM and only giving the error when it is invoked through the software using the help ID.

Any help / suggestions in this matter will be highly appreciated :)

Warm Regards,
Aizaz Haque
(Technical Writer - LMKR)
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Context sensitive CHM opens with Script Error

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Aizaz,

Which skin are you using to create your CHM? My guess is that this is an old/outdated skin that you may have configured quite a while ago on the basis of an old version, but it may also be something in your project.

The first thing to do is to try compiling with an unedited skin from the \Templates\HTML Skins\ folder in the Help+Manual program directory. If you still get the problem please mail a small demo project and the skin you are using to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check it for you.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Aizaz Haque

Re: Context sensitive CHM opens with Script Error

Unread post by Aizaz Haque »

Tim,

Thank you for looking into this and suggesting a solution.

The problem was because of the skin. I had actually been given this project a while back from another writer, and they were using a customised skin. When i recompiled the project after removing the skin, the issue disappeared.

I am now going to go through the skin and see if i can find the problem and or will try to see if I can get away without using a skin on this project completely :)

Thank you again for your help.

Warm Regards,
Aizaz