translate xml

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

annika berglund

translate xml

Unread post by annika berglund »

Hello!
I've been Reading the posts about translating xml-files and I can't really figure it out since there are lots of conflicting answers, sometimes it's ok and sometimes it's not.
So just to clarify here is my question:

If I use a proffesional translator who has good Tools to translate xml-files is it then possible to give them a copy of the files in the 'topic'-folder of my hmxp-project and then put the translated files back in the folder?
If they use SDL or Across should I then give them the files in the folder \\HelpAndManual6\Templates\Translation?

Regards
Annika
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: translate xml

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Annika,

You should always give the translators the entire project, not just the topic files. They will need the entire structure, including the .hmxp project file and the TOC file(s). If the translator are using Trados they will also need the configuration files for Trados from the \Translation folder.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sceptic

Unread post by Sceptic »

Hi Tim,

can you please explain, what exactly required for translation in Across. Are there any examples of templates for Across?
br
Alexander
Tim Green
Site Admin

Help+Manual comes with a configuration file for Across which you can find in the \Templates\Translation\ folder in the Help+Manual program directory. Basically, you need to send the entire project in uncompressed XML/HMXP format to the translator using Across along with the Across configuration file. However, we have not had requests for Across support for a very long time so there may have been changes in the meantime. Give it a try and contact support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) if you encounter problems.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Sceptic

Unread post by Sceptic »

Tim Green wrote:Help+Manual comes with a configuration file for Across which you can find in the \Templates\Translation\ folder in the Help+Manual program directory.
in my case Across recognizes H&M files as "Tagged XML v.2" and Across V5 Help And Manual.dst is Visual XML. so I can not import it as a template in Across.
Is it outdated for Across v6?
br
Alexander
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Alexander,

Importing a Help+Manual project "as a template" is almost certainly the wrong approach. Have a look in \Templates\Translation\ in the Help+Manual program folder. You will find the "Across V5 Help And Manual.dst" file there, which is the configuration file for Across for Help+Manual projects.
Regards,

Private support:
Sceptic

Unread post by Sceptic »

Hi Tim,

my fault was when I set a wrong type for topics (Tagged XML v.2) and tried to use the H&M template of a different type (Visual XML).

I will proceed to play with Across, so some new issues are on the way :)

Thanx for your advices and have a good weekend.
br
Alexander