Search phrase found but not shown in results

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Debra Crum

Search phrase found but not shown in results

Unread post by Debra Crum »

We've gotten the phrasal search to work by selecting PHP for our Search Platform and selecting the "Enable exact phrase search" option (in both the project and the skin). The exact phrase search is returning the correct topic results, but the phrase isn't shown in the results as I would expect (see attached screenshot). Is there some other setting or configuration we need to do? I think users will expect to see the phrase in the results. It's a comfort/reassurance thing :)

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Search phrase found but not shown in results

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Debra,

The excerpt doesn't show the text with the hit but just the first few words of the topic in which it was found. That can't be changed.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Debra Crum

Unread post by Debra Crum »

Thanks for the quick response Tim. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for dealing with that. What's the maximum number of characters included in the excerpt?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Debra Crum wrote:Thanks for the quick response Tim. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for dealing with that. What's the maximum number of characters included in the excerpt?
That would be the number you see in the results -- it's not configurable in the version of the Wrensoft Zoom search indexer included with Help+Manual. You can integrate the full version of Zoom with Help+Manual, but this will not really help you in this case. You can only increase the number of characters used for this context description and that will only include hits if they are in that part of the text at the beginning of the topic.

You really don't need this, however, since the hits are highlighted in the page when it is displayed and the page also automatically scrolls to the first hit. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:You can integrate the full version of Zoom with Help+Manual, but this will not really help you in this case. You can only increase the number of characters used for this context description and that will only include hits if they are in that part of the text at the beginning of the topic.
Hi Tim,

???

My version of Zoom displays an excerpt from within the topic, centered around the highlighted words.

This may depend on the platform -- I'm using PHP. For years I used CGI, but the server got bad-tempered about it.

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Martin Wynne wrote:My version of Zoom displays an excerpt from within the topic, centered around the highlighted words.
You're probably right -- my bad. I had always assumed it was just the first part of the topic... To be honest, it's always been something that I've found almost completely irrelevant, because I would never look at it there in the search results anyway. :?
Regards,

Private support:
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:I would never look at it there in the search results anyway.
Hi Tim,

That rather depends on the size of the excerpt. I have set it to 200 words. Which is a sizeable chunk, but makes it much easier to see whether the search result is relevant, or just a passing reference.

Swings and roundabouts -- scroll through a long page looking for relevant search results, or click one of them and wait for it to open, only to discover it is not much help.

regards,

Martin.