Errors in rendering text to PDF

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Adrian Savage

Errors in rendering text to PDF

Unread post by Adrian Savage »

There were some errors in rendering my document to PDF that I was not able to fix.

Umlauts are missing from the generated PDF but are present in the source document. For example, the two dots above the vowels in the German words „über“ „größeren“ and „wählen“.

A non-breaking space was entered between a number and the symbol %, but it broke onto a new line. (I typed Alt+0160 to enter a non-breaking space). For example 100
%. (German spelling rules dictate that there should be a non-breaking space there.)

On a conditional paragraph, a full stop is followed by a letter rather than a space, and the sentence ends without a full stop. The beginning space and ending full stop are lost, and adding an extra space does not fix the problem, nor does regrouping full stops. I typed this:
Die Maschine führt einen einzelnen Abrichtvorgang aus (wenn sie wie im Abschnitt Schreiben eines Programms programmiert ist). [IF...][ELSE]Die Maschine zieht die X-Achse auf die äußerste Position und dreht die A-Achse auf 90 Grad, bevor eine Abrichtroutine durchgeführt wird.[ENDIF]

and it outputs this:
Die Maschine führt einen einzelnen Abrichtvorgang aus (wenn sie wie im Abschnitt Schreiben eines Programms programmiert ist).Die Maschine zieht die X-Achse auf die
äußerste Position und dreht die A-Achse auf 90 Grad, bevor eine Abrichtroutine durchgeführt wird
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Errors in rendering text to PDF

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Adrian,

These are known issues that are being worked on in Help+Manual 7. The problem with the German umlauts is usually triggered by a special character like the Ohm symbol. in Help+Manual 7 you can solve the problem by setting the font embedding mode to CID or Type3 in Configuration > Publishing Options > Adobe PDF > Font Embedding. In HM6 you may be able to solve the problem by selecting CID mode and setting it to Unicode.
A non-breaking space was entered between a number and the symbol %, but it broke onto a new line. (I typed Alt+0160 to enter a non-breaking space). For example 100 %. (German spelling rules dictate that there should be a non-breaking space there.)
I couldn't reproduce this with any output format. Non-breaking spaces don't break anywhere. Just to make sure, try entering the non-breaking space with the Symbol tool at the right-hand end of the Write tab. Also check with Help > About that you are using the current version of Help+Manual 6, which is 6.5.6 Build 3027. You can download the installer here if you need it:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#oldver
On a conditional paragraph, a full stop is followed by a letter rather than a space, and the sentence ends without a full stop.
This is also not reproducible. My guess is that you are using an outdated version of Help+Manual 6 (see above). If you continue to have problems please mail a demo project and the .mnl template file you are using to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check them for you. Please include a description of steps needed to reproduce the problem and information about which version of Help+Manual the files were created with.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Adrian Savage

Re: Errors in rendering text to PDF

Unread post by Adrian Savage »

Thanks, I had made a mistake. The same paragraph appeared in two places, and I had identified the wrong one when examining the effect of changes on the PDF.
So the non-breaking space and the grouping of conditional sentances does work after all.
Mussing umlauts are restored by changing the CID mode from Off to Unicode, and this makes the resulting PDF only slightly larger.
Thank you