XML Update from Excel

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Dave Dunn

XML Update from Excel

Unread post by Dave Dunn »

I am wondering if this is even possible. I am trying to update the variables in an hmxp file using a vba macro in Excel 2013. The XML manipulation works fine if you paste the hmxp content into a vanilla XML file but it doesn't seem to recognize the H&M project from within the macro. Any assistance would be of value.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: XML Update from Excel

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Dave,

The short answer to this is no. The long answer is also no. 8)

The two systems have nothing in common and know nothing about each other.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tobias Escher

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

I generally edit variables in Sublime Text, that is easiest.
H+M currently does not update variables from a repository, so when I need to change a variable, Sublime Text is the fastest way to do it in multiple projects.
With search & replace over multiple open files you can do it in one step.
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Dave Dunn wrote:I am wondering if this is even possible. I am trying to update the variables in an hmxp file using a vba macro in Excel 2013. The XML manipulation works fine if you paste the hmxp content into a vanilla XML file but it doesn't seem to recognize the H&M project from within the macro. Any assistance would be of value.
How about creating a text file (say myvariables.txt) from Excel, and then using H&M's command-line syntax to read it during compilation (e.g. /V="D:\myexcelfiles\myvariables.txt")?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Tobias Escher wrote:H+M currently does not update variables from a repository, so when I need to change a variable, Sublime Text is the fastest way to do it in multiple projects. With search & replace over multiple open files you can do it in one step.
An even more powerful tool is PowerGREP, in combination with Regex Buddy from the same company for developing your regexes. A little pricey, but there is no better tool on any platform for complex find and replace operations of all kinds. I use it for keeping all the skins in the Premium Pack coordinated and updated, and as part of the build process (it has a command line option with which you can execute predefined macros or actions).

Live variables in repositories are on the agenda but this will require significant changes to the Help+Manual XML schema, and we have a strict policy that we only make deep structural changes like that on the transition to a new major version.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.