JavaScript full-text search limitations

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

JavaScript full-text search limitations

Unread postby Roman Turcanu » Fri May 26, 2017 11:38 am

For various reasons, my department is constrained to using JavaScript search in Webhelp, and to using Help&Manual version 6.5.5, build 3020. Could you please confirm the following:

1) With JavaScript search, are the words generated in zoom_index.js file limited to 34 characters?
2) If yes, is there any way to influence this from Help&Manual, apart from using and configuring the standalone version of Zoom Indexer?

With respect to the background of these questions, my problem is that text like this:

ConvertingToSomething.setCloseObjectsAfterRun();

becomes unsearchable with JavaScript if you search the phrase "setCloseObjectsAfterRun". The cause apparently is that longer strings (like the one above) are chopped to 34 characters in the zoom_index.js file:

Code: Select all
   "convertingtosomething.setcloseobje 470 18 20",

I've also tried to customize search not to treat dots as "Word-joining characters", here are my settings:
1.png

But this does not seem to have any effect -- text is still chopped in the zoom_index.js file, and I also noticed this line remained unchanged in settings.js:

Code: Select all
var WordJoinChars = ".-_'";

Thank you for any help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. This may mean that you can't view them at all, or it may just mean that you need to log into the forum to view them.
Roman Turcanu

Re: JavaScript full-text search limitations

Unread postby Tim Green » Fri May 26, 2017 4:48 pm

That is correct, there is an absolute limit on the length of words that can be searched. Here is the information from the programmers at Zoom on this:

Yes, there is a maximum word length of 35 characters (34 in some cases). This is a hard coded technical limitation (documented in section 8.5 of the Users Guide) for simplicity sake. This is an effort to come to a good compromise with memory requirement and practical needs.

There is no switch to override this. It would require a custom build to change this value.

In the past, for technical documentations, we’ve found that most of the problems were due to extended class names e.g.

javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalComboBoxEditor.UIResource

In these cases, we found that it can be addressed by disabling Dots as word joining characters (then an example like the above is indexed as 6 words).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Return to Help & Manual 6 Forum