PDF Export & mnl

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alexandre3569

PDF Export & mnl

Unread post by Alexandre3569 »

Hello,
I'm using V6.1 and I have an issue when generating a pdf.
Because a picture is worth a 1000 words, I attached 2 screen shots of my problem.

The result in the pdf is a mess...
The mnl is in portait mode, the format is A4.

What do I check to make it right ?

Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF Export & mnl

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alexandre,
I'm using V6.1

Please download and install the 6.5.6 Build 3027 update here:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#oldver

Just install on top of your current version to update. This won't change any settings etc.

Basically what has happened here is that you haven't yet quite mastered positioning the elements in the Table of Contents and Topics sections of your PDF template. Reading the Print Manual Designer documentation before you start working would help a lot, probably. :) It would also be a good idea to start with one of the standard templates included in the \Templates\PDF\ folder in the Help+Manual program directory, where everything is already set up correctly.

In the TOC section you need to adjust the spacing and anchors of the multiple text objects in the bands for each level. In addition to this it looks as though the objects extend beyond the margins -- that is why they are running off the page. They will be shown outlined in red when they do this, that is what the red outline means. (The margins are just guide lines, the objects themselves define where the contents go, even if it is beyond the margins.)

In the Topics section you have probably done something similar with the positions and sizes of the titles and the topic text placeholder. The placeholder should ideally be only 3 lines high and the band containing it should be set to exactly the same height. The width of the placeholder defines the width of the topic content on the page, so if it is indented the content will also be indented. Here too, you should start with one of the standard templates, then you won't have this problem.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.