Editor screen grey out issue

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Aizaz Haque

Editor screen grey out issue

Unread post by Aizaz Haque »

Hey guys,

I am using H&M 6.5.6 (Build 3027) and am facing an issue with the editor greying out. Midway trhough my topic, the mouse scrool wheel stops functioning (the side scroll bars are still functional) and the table becomes greyed out (Attached screenshot) . I've gone through the XML Source code and nothing extraordinary is going on. Just for the sake of troubleshooting, i went ahead and download H&M 7.5.3 (build 4740) and the issue was still there . Any advise or suggestions to fix this problem would be really appreciated :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Editor screen grey out issue

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Aizaz,

This effect is caused when you exceed the size limits for individual topics. When this shaded area appears it means that the topic is too long to be handled by the topic editor. However, when this happens this also means that your topic is already (very!) much too long to be practical as a single topic anyway -- you should really already be creating a new topic long before you ever encounter this. Topics that are this long won't be effective because users will not read past a certain point in a single topic. Attention spans on screens are always much shorter than in printed books.

You won't lose any data when this happens. The limitation is on the visible pane that is scrolled in the topic editor window.

To correct this you need to split up the topic into multiple topics. To do this, create a new topic and then cut and paste the content from the top of the affected topic to it. As you do this more content will appear that you can then cut and paste to other new topics.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Aizaz Haque

Re: Editor screen grey out issue

Unread post by Aizaz Haque »

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for looking into this issue and letting me know the exact problem/solution. I am a little stuck in regards to the content on this specific page, but I completly understand and agree with the too large a topic concern. Let me see if I can split up the topic into smaller chunks and suggest the same to my co-worker who works on the slightly longer topics.

Have a great day :)