Expand one section by default?

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Andy Poulsen

Expand one section by default?

Unread post by Andy Poulsen »

Hi All,

I'm using H&M 6 Pro (latest version), and would like to have one topic be expanded when the .chm file is opened.

The reason for this is that I'm afraid the users won't see that they can expand that section, and miss all the information under that (especially since it's the top section of the topic). This issue goes away when called from our application, as the links to the relevant sections are provided -- this issue is just for someone browsing the help file.

The image below should help show what I have vs what I want...
HelpManExpandedTopic.jpg
I know this is probably a very simple thing to do, but I'm not coming up with anything at the moment. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Expand one section by default?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Andy,

That's CHM and I'm afraid the ancient MS CHM system doesn't have a setting for that. However, what you could do would be to make that chapter node your default topic. Then the CHM will automatically open to that when it is opened. In HM6 you set the default/home topic in Configuration > Common Properties > Language Settings. (In later versions you can also do it with a right click in the TOC)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andy Poulsen

Re: Expand one section by default?

Unread post by Andy Poulsen »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the additional info. What is the preferred format for a self-contained help system?

I tried setting that, and while it does open to the top section, its sub-items are not expanded. Is there a way to do that? Alternatively, is there a way to have sub-items that are indented, but never collapsed?

EDIT: Never mind -- if I make the top node in that section the default, it all works as needed. Still, if there are answers to the other questions, I'd be glad to know them!

Thanks!