Translation software

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Benjamin Bruecker

Translation software

Unread post by Benjamin Bruecker »

Hi,

At the moment I'm testing translation software for translation Help- and Manual (uncompressed) source files. OmegaT was the only program I found, which was able to translate Help- and Manual-Source files out of the box. Unfortunately I can not use OmegaT due to problems with other formats. I also tested SDL Passolo, but the Company gave it up to create filter, with useful segmentation. I was able to create a filter with MemoQ quite easily. But I would like to have a wider choice.

Here are my questions:
  • Does anyone use other translation tools which can deal with Help- and Manual source files?
  • And If so, could you share your filters?
Regards, Benjamin B.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Translation software

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Benjamin,

Users report getting good results with both SDL Trados and Nero Across, but they are both more heavyweight solutions with a steep learning curve. Particularly Trados should really only be used by translators who work with them all day every day to get the most out of them.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Benjamin Bruecker

Re: Translation software

Unread post by Benjamin Bruecker »

Hi Tim,
thank you for the very fast replay!
If other customers reported good results, it is quite strange, that SDL consultants gave it up to create a filter for the Help- and Manual xml source files. Anyway, which tool with a lower learning curve would you recommand?