PDF loses equation in table at bottom of pages

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Andrew White

PDF loses equation in table at bottom of pages

Unread post by Andrew White »

Hi,
I am using version 6.5.5.3020
In some of my manuals I have tables containing equations. When the PDF manuals are generated the equations at the bottom of the page can disappear,
PDF_missing.PNG
It is OK in the CHM file:
CHM.PNG
Has anyone else experienced this?

Is the anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any help

Andrew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: PDF loses equation in table at bottom of pages

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Andrew,

There are a couple of possible causes for this, which may be combined. First make sure that the reference printer driver for PDF in View > Program Options > PDF has the paper size set to the same size of PDF you are using. If it is smaller you will get clipping, for example with the driver set to US Letter and output to A4. In addition to this, make sure that you are not using the "keep paragraph with next" setting in multiple consecutive paragraphs. If you do this it creates an unbreakable block of text that can only run off the end of the page into PDF Nirvana... 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andrew White

I'm not sure it is anything to do with printers (I don't see the option you mention) or "keep paragraph with next" (I am not using this). Another reason I say this is that I managed to get some words to appear under the missing equation:
PDF_missing2.PNG
The Equation (119) in the table is not visible.

Thanks for your help so far...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Andrew,

I just noticed that you're using HM6. Please make sure that it's up to date. The current version is 6.5.6 Build 3027. You can check this in Help > About, and you can download the installer with this link if you need to update:

https://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html#oldver

Since you're using version 6 you will be using some external formula editor with the formula inserted as an OLE object. If it's failing in version 6 after you've checked that it's up to date and have checked the reference printer driver, I'm afraid your only option would be to generate the formula directly as a graphic in your formula editor and then insert the graphic. HM6 hasn't been under development any more for many years now... :?
I'm not sure it is anything to do with printers (I don't see the option you mention)
PDF has everything to do with printers. A PDF is raw printer output in a file and needs a printer driver to be both generated in Help+Manual and displayed (PDF Reader is essentially just a printer driver that prints to the screen). Here is how to find the setting in HM6:
pdf_driver_6.png
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andrew White

Many thanks for this. I had the PDF Export option set to 'Use screen as reference device'. Once I changed it to 'Use this printer as reference device' as per your screenshot and chose an A4 printer, it worked.
Thanks again!