Letters stand too close in PDF output

Please post all questions relating to Help & Manual 6 here!

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

liza_elagina

Letters stand too close in PDF output

Unread post by liza_elagina »

Hi! I have the following problem. When I publish a PDF document, some letters appear to be too close to each other, which reduces the readability of the document. Meanwhile, in the editor everything looks fine.
I have attached an example of letters in PDF and in the editor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Letters stand too close in PDF output

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Liza,

this is a PDF printer driver problem. H&M uses a printer driver to generate PDFs. You can access the reference printer driver settings in View > Program Options > PDF. By default, H&M will use the screen device driver, but you can often get better results by using a real printer driver. By the same token, some printer drivers can also cause problems, particularly optimized drivers from printer manufacturers. It is generally better to use one of the standard drivers supplied with Windows.

If the driver of your own installed printer doesn't work well you can activate and select one of the known good standard drivers included with Windows. You don't have to actually have the physical printer. Just add the driver with Add Printer in the printer section of the Windows Control Panel and then select it as your reference driver in Help & Manual. The standard Windows Brother HL-2040 and HL-2060 drivers deliver good results, and standard LaserJets and DeskJets are usually also OK. You can also use the Microsoft XPS Document Writer driver, which is always installed in all current Windows versions. However, this driver has the restriction that it can't be set to the higher output resolutions supported by more recent printer drivers.

Important Notes:

DON'T use use "PDF printer drivers" like Adobe Distiller for this! This will not work properly and is actually counter-productive.

The output resolution and default paper size are set in the settings for the printer driver in the Windows Control Panel. The default page size set for the printer driver must be at least as large as the page size you have set in your print manual template. If it is smaller you will get clipping in your PDF pages.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
liza_elagina

Re: Letters stand too close in PDF output

Unread post by liza_elagina »

Thanks a lot, this helps.