expanding toggles

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Darren Rose

expanding toggles

Unread post by Darren Rose »

Hi

In version 6 all toggles I create look like this i.e. the table for the toggle is indented and you can see a box round the toggle title (as per screenshot)

In version 7 if I create a toggle I can't see a border at left end of toggle and the table is no longer indented

Is this something I am doing wrong - or a bug?
hm10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: expanding toggles

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Darren,

Help & Manual does shift the toggle icon up a little bit, that actually happens in HM6 as well, but I've noticed as well that it's more visible in HM7. You don't notice it with the small standard +/- icons generated by HM itself, but it is visible with larger custom icons. However, the formatting you're getting isn't anything like what I'm seeing -- and I used exactly the same toggle formatting for all the new toggles in the HM7 help, and worked on it exclusively in HM7. Try checking the formatting of the style you're using for it. It may be interacting with other styles in your project differently or something. Mail me a small demo project at support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) if you don't manage to figure it out and I'll check it. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Darren Rose

Hi Tim

When published the left hand border to the box appears okay - so is only an issue in the designer

More of a problem to me is the lack of indent for the table

Will email over a sample where the indent is missing - hopefully this will help answer it

P.S. Even when I copy an existing toggle from one topic to another for some reason the left hand border disappears?!??

Thank you
Darren Rose

actually both right and left edge to box round toggle title disappear even when copying existing toggle from one topic to another
Darren Rose

FIXED - issue with right/left edge not showing is now fixed - my topic originally had a table in which I deleted, but for some reason it obviously didn't delete correctly as when checking XML source I could still see a table styleclass which when deleted fixed issue of borders/edges
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Darren,

Here is the information I mailed you just now on the indent of the table being created with the toggle to conclude the thread here:

What is happening here is that the toggle table of a new toggle is not getting indented automatically by the standard amount defined for toggle icons when you configure the toggle with an icon. This needs to be fixed and Alex will get onto it right away.

However, if you apply the indented style you are going to use for the toggle *first* (Heading HowTo Toggle_atoc_ in this case) then the indent of that paragraph will be applied. However, all the other attributes will also be applied, so you will need to reformat the paragraph anyway. The solution here is to have a paragraph style for the container paragraph of the table with the necessary indent. When you create the toggle, the cursor is automatically in that paragraph, i.e. outside the table and inside the paragraph mark. If you assign a style with an indent then, the table will be indented as you want. I've added a style called "ToggleBody" to your test project to demonstrate this. You could add a shortcut to it to make it faster.

Note on another glitch: The style of the container paragraph is currently not shown in the style selector when the cursor is between the table and the paragraph mark. It works fine, however, this is just cosmetic. This will also be fixed asap.

All that being said, there is a much, much better solution. Just save a dummy toggle as a snippet and insert it in a single easy operation as a copy/paste snippet. This is how I do it in the HM help and it saves a huge amount of time. I've also set this up in your project so that you can try it out. To insert one of your toggles, just choose the Snippet tool with From Topic and Copy & Paste into Text. I've stored it as a topic here, but if you want to use it in multiple projects it's probably better to save the snippet as an external XML file, or in your style repository if you're using one.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.