Featured images

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Gerold Krommer

Featured images

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

I like that little feature, ans as I can gather from the tutorial the development team likes it too :-)

My question is on how to determine the part that is displayed for the image. It seems to me approximately a fifth of the upper part of what is defined.
How to change that? Apologies if this is documented, I could not find it.

Maybe also someone has a pointers to collections of royalty free images. I found a few sites that had suitable images for technical documentation (Intoduction, System Architecture,etc.).
Also can I use the ones in the example?

Thanks,

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Featured images

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,

Are you using the featured images in PDF or HTML? In PDF you create the image placeholder in the template and set its draw mode to "Fill Boundaries", then the image will fill the box entirely. Whether or not all of the image is displayed there depends on whether your image has the same aspect ratio as the box (relation of width to height). If it doesn't, some of the image will need to overflow to enable it to fill the box without leaving a white space. In HTML what you get depends on how you define the CSS for the image and description containers.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Gerold Krommer

Unread post by Gerold Krommer »

Hi Tim,

thanks for the answer. Kind of obvious and somehow not...

Anyway I have another problem with featured imaged and as my title is generic enough...

I use the standard templates suppolied with HM7 (e.g. CHM skin, dark blue header, feature images,.. and Standard Manual A4) and all is well with the CHM (all featured images are there) but in the PDF they are 'randomly' there or not (I'm sure it is not random, I just couldn't detect any pattern)

Is this a know problem? I have the original build 3600.

Thx,

/Gerold
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Gerold,
I have the original build 3600.
Please always check for the current build before testing anything. The current version is already 3608, so you should definitely install that. You can get the installer here:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html

However, I'm not sure whether this will change anything because I have a feeling that something may be wrong in your specific project. Make sure that the images you are using have valid file names (no spaces, no accented or special characters) and that you aren't using any other images with the same names and different formats: Since images often need to be converted for different output formats, two images called my_image.png and my_image.bmp could easily result in the same output file name that would overwrite each other.

If you continue to have problems please mail a small demo project illustrating the problem (some images not there in PDF) to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check it for you. Please include your .mnl PDF template and the images you are using for at least a few of the chapters where they are not showing up.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.