Moving H&M V6.5.5 Project to H&M V7

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ivonne Alemany

Moving H&M V6.5.5 Project to H&M V7

Unread post by Ivonne Alemany »

Hi, Tim: Now that I've upgraded to V7 and see how cool this version is, I need to move my project from V6 to V7. I have my project synced to SVN in V6.
Before I mess up anything:

Q1: What is the best way to do this? I was thinking I would Load an SVN project (my project) and open locally using SVN actions. Is that it?
Q2: I have in V6 a styles project .hmxr in my repository. What is the best way to handle this one?
Q3: I have a custom PDF template in v6. What is the best way to get the new features of the new PDF manual template? Create a new one with V7?
Q4: Do I need to be concerned about images?
Q5: Any pitfalls I need to know?

Thank you very much!
Ivonne
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Moving H&M V6.5.5 Project to H&M V7

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ivonne,

There's really nothing special you need to do, unless you want to keep a HM6-only version. To do that, just make a backup copy of your working copy project folder, including the .svn directory. Then just open the working copy in Help & Manual 7 and work normally. As soon as you save, it's then a HM7 project and all the changes will automatically be stored in your SVN repository. 8)
Q1: What is the best way to do this? I was thinking I would Load an SVN project (my project) and open locally using SVN actions. Is that it?
Yes, if you wish to make a new working copy exclusively for HM7 you can do it that way. Just select the Version Control tool in the File menu in Help & Manual 7 and get a new working copy from the repository. HOWEVER, you don't want to work on the same project in parallel in Help & Manual 6! If you do, you would have constant conflicts because of different versions of settings etc. being saved.
Q2: I have in V6 a styles project .hmxr in my repository. What is the best way to handle this one?
There's not really anything in particular you need to do there. The V6 .hmxr should work fine, and as soon as you edit it and save it, it will be updated automatically to V7. If you want to be absolutely sure, just open the .hmxr once in HM7 and make a small change and save it.
Q3: I have a custom PDF template in v6. What is the best way to get the new features of the new PDF manual template? Create a new one with V7?
Just open and re-save with the V7 version of Manual Designer. Then you can continue eidting there.
Q4: Do I need to be concerned about images?
No, they don't change at all.
Q5: Any pitfalls I need to know?
Image toggles are now lightbox mode only. The inline image toggles (expand in the page instead of in an overlay) have been replaced by responsive images that expand to the page size (but not more than 100% of their own size) or the size of the table cell they are in. If you have set up image toggles to expand inline they won't, but you can make a manual fix to restore the old behavior. See this tip for details.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

Hi Ivonne,

Q1: I must leave this to Tim. I didn't use SVN integrated with H&M. My projects aren't version controlled until now.

Q2: Nothing to do. The project is connected to the repository and H&M7 will find it.

Q3: I haven't made any changes to my PDF template. If you don't plan to use H&M6 and H&M7 on the same project together you can just change it.

Q4: For the screen toggles I have two different images scaled in Impict. I do not use the automatic scaling in the screen toggles. I haven't found any problems with the images.

Q5: Nothing which was not disussed in the forum. All I have created was working as in H&M6, from a simple standalone until a multi project, multi language with common styles repository, common and local snippets. The synchronisation tool was also working a before.
Waldemar
Ivonne Alemany

Unread post by Ivonne Alemany »

Thanks, guys. I need a Q1 answer clarification & follow up.
Q1: If I open the .hmxp file from my machine, after installing H &M v7, the project will automatically open in V7 and not in V6? I have both v6 and v7 on my machine.

Follow up Scenario:
Can we have a team of writers some working on v6 and some working on v7 working on the same projects?

My editor has a professional v6 version on her machine. I have upgraded to v7. My project is in Subversion. She edits the project that is in SVN. Will this cause a conflict?

thanks for your patience!
IA
waldemar.hersacher

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

Hi Ivonne,

for each extention of a file you can have only one application which will be opened automatically.
Since the extentions didn't change the last installed program will be used.
If you are firm in editing the Registry you can change it to have H&M6 the default program.

It is not a good idea mixing the versions on the same project. Projects saved in H&M7 can be opened in H&M6. Saving them in H&M6 will remove new features. you have to redo the work again in H&M7, e. g. adding a "Featured Image".

You can do multi user editing using Subversion for merging. But that does not help you with the fact losing work done in H&M7 and not be stored in H&M6.
Waldemar
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

You can do multi user editing using Subversion for merging. But that does not help you with the fact losing work done in H&M7 and not be stored in H&M6.
Also, when doing multi-user editing, it is REALLY important that ALL users participating must be using the SAME version of Help & Manual. This is really crucial. Help & Manual will try to switch on read-only mode for users on versions that don't match the save version of the current project, but that is not 100% possible. So do make sure that the entire team is in the same update version. :)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.