Default toggle margin and indent

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Ola Timpson

Default toggle margin and indent

Unread post by Ola Timpson »

Hi

Is there a way to set the default margin/indent for toggles? I've just added a new toggle to our project (using custom icons) and the margins are different to the defaults in HM6. To make it match all the others I've changed the XML, but this will get tedious very quickly. I'm hoping there's a way that all my toggles can default back to a 32px margin instead of 2.

HM6:

Code: Select all

<para styleclass="Normal" style="text-indent:-32px; margin-left:32px;"><image src="toggle down.png" scale="100.00%" styleclass="Normal"></image><tab /><toggle type="dropdown" print-expanded="true" help-expanded="false" defaultstyle="true" translate="true" src-collapsed="toggle down.png" src-expanded="toggle up.png" src-print="none" styleclass="Normal"><caption translate="true"><![CDATA[Notes Required]]></caption></toggle></para>
<para styleclass="Normal" style="text-indent:-32px; margin-left:32px;"><table styleclass="Default" rowcount="1" colcount="1">
HM7:

Code: Select all

<para styleclass="Normal" style="text-indent:-2px; margin-left:2px;"><image src="toggle down.png" scale="100.00%" styleclass="Normal"></image><tab /><toggle type="dropdown" print-expanded="true" help-expanded="false" defaultstyle="true" translate="true" src-collapsed="toggle down.png" src-expanded="toggle up.png" styleclass="Normal"><caption translate="true"><![CDATA[Combine with other Queries]]></caption></toggle></para>
<para styleclass="Normal" style="text-indent:-2px; margin-left:2px;"><table styleclass="Default" rowcount="1" colcount="1">
Kind regards,
Ola
Support Executive/Technical Author
Covalent Software
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Default toggle margin and indent

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Ola,

The original build of Help & Manual 7 didn't automatically set the same indent as the toggle header for the table. That has been corrected now, so it should now work the same as in HM6. Also, when you create a toggle the insertion point is inserted in the paragraph containing the toggle table directly after creating the toggle. If you then select an indented style before typing anything it will be applied to the paragraph containing the table and will indent the table.

However, turning dummy toggles in to reusable snippets is by far the easiest way to create formatted toggles quickly. You can store them in little XML files in your project folder and insert copies of them whenever you want to use them.

1) Create the complete item you want to reuse with all components, using some dummy text in places where text is necessary. You can do this with toggles, note boxes, lists, tables and any other kind of complex layout that you want to reuse over and over again.
2) Select the entire item you want to reuse.
3) Select File > Save Snippet in the Project > Manage Topics tab and save the snippet in your project folder with a descriptive name.
4) To use the snippet, click in the place where you want to insert a new item, select the Snippet tool in Write > Insert Object. Activate the options "From File" and "Copy & paste into text". Then select the snippet and click OK.

See this chapter in the help for instructions on using snippets:
http://helpandmanual.com/help/index.htm ... ippets.htm

Snippets can be stored topic files in the current project, as external XML files on their own or as topic files in their own project, which can then be used to edit and manage them efficiently. In addition to this, you can also save snippets along with shared stylesheets in a "style repository" that allows you to share both your project stylesheet and snippets between any number of other projects. This provides standardized styles edited in a single location for all your projects, plus snippets that use those styles and thus appear formatted in exactly the same way in all projects.

See this chapter in the help for details on style repositories:
http://helpandmanual.com/help/index.htm ... tories.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Ola Timpson

Re: Default toggle margin and indent

Unread post by Ola Timpson »

Hi Tim

Just wanted to say thank you very much for your help with this. Using Snippets is such a simple, but effective, idea and I've implemented it already.

I work on a customer software support team, and if we could provide replies as useful as yours every time I'd be very happy.

Thanks,
Ola
Support Executive/Technical Author
Covalent Software