Printing from Responsive Skins

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Printing from Responsive Skins

Unread postby Sheri Steeves » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:54 pm

Hello,

Just updated to H&M 7 today and was playing with the responsive skins.

We were previously using one of the premium skins, WebHelp_SlateGrey.hmskin with options for mail Feedback and Printing the topic.

I have tested publishing our help using the skins 'HM7-Help-Webhelp-Responsive', 'Webhelp, iFrames Responsive, Grey' and 'Webhelp, iFrames Responsive, White-Grey' and have noticed that from Chrome you cannot print the topics from these skins - at least not using Ctrl+P.

The print dialog comes up but all that shows is a single page (with the header if Print background and images is selected) and no text. I was able to print a topic using Ctrl+P through IE11.

Capture.PNG

Is there a way to add a print option to the new skins? What about e-mail feedback?

Playing around a bit further, I was able to print the topic if I clicked in the topic section, did Ctrl+A and then did Ctrl+P.

Thanks,

Sheri
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. This may mean that you can't view them at all, or it may just mean that you need to log into the forum to view them.
Sheri Steeves

Re: Printing from Responsive Skins

Unread postby Tim Green » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:41 am

Hi Sheri,

These new standard skins don't currently have a print feature, sorry. That needs to be added in a future update...
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread postby Sheri Steeves » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Tim,

Thanks for the response; I know H&M 7 was just released but is there any timeline on adding the printing feature??

Great job on the responsive skins!

Sheri
Sheri Steeves

Unread postby Tim Green » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi Sheri,

We have a lot on our plates at the moment -- may take a couple of weeks... :?
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread postby Darren Rose » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:34 pm

+1 for adding printing support!!
Darren Rose

Unread postby Tim Green » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Update: The new standard responsive skins are currently being edited to make them work better on very small screens. More coming -- watch this space. And have a nice weekend...

38°C in my office at the moment... :typing:
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread postby Darren Rose » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:02 pm

I appreciate you are busy - but any update on adding printing support to the responsive skins included in HM7??
Darren Rose

Unread postby Tim Green » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Darren,

Please contact Alexander directly for information on this -- I'm not up to date on his work on those skins at the moment.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread postby Darren Rose » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Okay thanks Tim - I posted on here rather than emailing you direct as I assumed he would reply
Darren Rose

Unread postby Darren Rose » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:33 pm

also can you add a text variable to change initial width of the TOC panel?
Darren Rose

Unread postby Darren Rose » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:54 pm

Darren Rose wrote:also can you add a text variable to change initial width of the TOC panel?

This can be changed in the skin by going to Configuration > Publishing Options > Webhelp > Layout and changing the left: 30%; under #hmcontentbox
Darren Rose

Unread postby Darren Rose » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:00 pm

Darren Rose wrote:I appreciate you are busy - but any update on adding printing support to the responsive skins included in HM7??

As suggested via email from Alexander - you can add the below line under Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default - add it underneath the line that says <IF_NEXT_PAGE>

<a href="javascript:window.print()">Print</a>

Issues with this method:-

1) If you have a page containing toggles then it doesn't expand them before printing so you just get a printout of the toggle titles and nothing else

2) shows print button just as the word PRINT rather than a nice icon - so doesn't look very professional as ruins the nice layout of icons etc - this is being addressed in next skin update apparently

3) Strange text at top of page when printed - see screenshot below

hm2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. This may mean that you can't view them at all, or it may just mean that you need to log into the forum to view them.
Darren Rose

Unread postby Tim Green » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi Darren,

Change the print link to this:

Code: Select all
<a href="javascript:<IF_TOGGLES> HMToggleExpandAll(true);</IF_TOGGLES> print();">

No idea where that variable is coming from. I would need to have a look at your skin and a test project -- you can mail them to me if you like.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread postby Darren Rose » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi Tim

Even with a new project and using a fresh copy of Webhelp, iFrames Responsive, Blue.hmskin I still get that variable showing on print output - so problem must be with H&M or the skin rather than my project

Amended code so it shows the "Print" button/link

Code: Select all
<a href="javascript:<IF_TOGGLES> HMToggleExpandAll(true);</IF_TOGGLES> print();">Print</a>

This still doesn't work for me - yes it opens the toggles but the printout still doesn't show content of toggles just headings

If I open the toggles manually using icon and then print - it works okay

Also print output shows title of page twice? and shows the print button text as well
Darren Rose

Unread postby Darren Rose » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:03 pm

P.S. The variable showing up in printing is caused by a typo in the skin

The correct variable name is SKIN-STRTRANS-SYNCTOC i.e. with the C

In HTML PAGE DEFAULTS > Default it doesn't have the C - as below

<td class="topichead" style="text-align:left; vertical-align:bottom">
<IF_HTML><p class="sync-toc">&lt;&lt; <a rel="nofollow" href="<%HREF_TOP_PAGE%>?<%HREF_CURRENT_PAGE%>" target="_top"><%SKIN-STRTRANS-SYNTOC%></a> &gt;&gt;</p></IF_HTML>
<p class="crumbs"><b><%SKIN-STRTRANS-BREADCRUMBS-TITLE%></b>&nbsp;
<IFNOT_TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS>&raquo;<%SKIN-STRTRANS-BREADCRUMBS-NONE%>&laquo;</IFNOT_TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS>
<IF_TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS><%TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS%>&nbsp;&gt;</IF_TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS></p>

<%TOPIC_HEADER%>
</td>

When correct you now don't see the wrong variable on prints but it does show << Click to Display Table of Contents >> on the print instead - so still not perfect as don't really want to see that, duplicated titles or the word PRINT on the printout - see image below

hm1.jpg
Darren Rose

Next

Return to Help & Manual 7 Forum