Remove the text "Navigation: »No topics above this level«"

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Matthew Peers

Remove the text "Navigation: »No topics above this level«"

Unread post by Matthew Peers »

How do you remove the text

Navigation: »No topics above this level«

from above the topic titles?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Remove the text "Navigation: »No topics above this leve

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Matthew,

This text is inserted by the skin. How you remove it depends on which skin you are using -- one of the standard skins provided with Help & Manual or a skin from the Premium Pack. However, why do you want to remove it? Doing so will make it more difficult for your users to navigate your documentation because it removes important reference information. This "breadcrumb trail" navigation above the topic header shows a list of links to the topics above the current topic in the table of contents tree, allowing the user to navigate up to them directly.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Matthew Peers

Unread post by Matthew Peers »

Thanks. I have since worked out its purpose and I do not wish to remove it now.
David Pybus

Unread post by David Pybus »

While I acknowledge you comments about navigation, I'm providing a 'Help File' with relatively few pages which is shown on a small form-factor, Android device.

In order to simplify the view, how can I remove the ""NAVIGATION: »NO TOPICS ABOVE THIS LEVEL«" text from the title bar? - I'm using a (responsive) Premium Pack Skin.

Thanks,

Andy Pybus
Tim Green
Site Admin

David Pybus wrote:In order to simplify the view, how can I remove the ""NAVIGATION: »NO TOPICS ABOVE THIS LEVEL«" text from the title bar? - I'm using a (responsive) Premium Pack Skin.
Just select the "Breadcrumb Navigation Off" option in the Skin Include Options box in the Publish screen when you publish. This will completely disable the Breadcrumb navigation. :)
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
David Pybus

Many thanks and Happy New Year! - I had been inadvertently applying a non-PP skin - which doesn't have this option...
Tim Green
Site Admin

David Pybus wrote:Many thanks and Happy New Year! - I had been inadvertently applying a non-PP skin - which doesn't have this option...
It's possible to remove it there too, but that requires a little manual editing. Let me know if you need instructions for that. :)
Regards,

Private support:
David Pybus

Could you also post the instructions for the 'Standard' skins?

I'm programming in Xamarin.Forms displaying a 'WebHelp' system in their standard browser component. A WebHelp system published with a standard skin behaves correctly, but the PP skins don't seem to work properly on a 'Google Pixel XL' - Swiping from the index takes the user to a blank page.

I'm very happy with the behaviour of the 'WebHelp Responsive Blue Skin ' - but I'd like to get rid of the navigation message.
Tim Green
Site Admin

David Pybus wrote:I'm very happy with the behaviour of the 'WebHelp Responsive Blue Skin ' - but I'd like to get rid of the navigation message.
Sure thing. Open the .hmskin file in Help+Manual and go to Configuration > HTML Page Templates > Default. In the Source Code tab, locate the following block of code:

<td class="topichead" style="text-align:left; vertical-align:bottom">
<IF_HTML><p class="sync-toc"><< <a rel="nofollow" href="<%HREF_TOP_PAGE%>?<%HREF_CURRENT_PAGE%>" target="_top"><%SKIN-STRTRANS-SYNCTOC%></a> >></p></IF_HTML>
<p class="crumbs"><b><%SKIN-STRTRANS-BREADCRUMBS-TITLE%></b>&nbsp;
<IFNOT_TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS>&raquo;<%SKIN-STRTRANS-BREADCRUMBS-NONE%>&laquo;</IFNOT_TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS>
<IF_TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS><%TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS%>&nbsp;></IF_TOPIC_BREADCRUMBS></p>

<%TOPIC_HEADER%>
</td>

Delete the code highlighted in red, being very careful not to touch anything else. The result will then be this:

<td class="topichead" style="text-align:left; vertical-align:bottom">
<IF_HTML><p class="sync-toc"><< <a rel="nofollow" href="<%HREF_TOP_PAGE%>?<%HREF_CURRENT_PAGE%>" target="_top"><%SKIN-STRTRANS-SYNCTOC%></a> >></p></IF_HTML>
<%TOPIC_HEADER%>
</td>

Save the skin and republish.
Regards,

Private support:
David Pybus

Perfect, thank you... :D
Withtime

Unread post by Withtime »

Hello !
I have the same problem with the Help&Manual V7 but I don't find the same thing.
How can I do to modifie the navigation name ? Can you give me the way please ?

Thank you in advance.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Withtime wrote:I have the same problem with the Help&Manual V7 but I don't find the same thing.
How can I do to modifie the navigation name ? Can you give me the way please ?
How you do this depends on the skin you are using, because some have different ways of doing things. So we need to know that to be able to answer. However, that being said, you really shouldn't try to remove this if you want to keep using the breadcrumb trail navigation. This text is needed to orient the user when they are on a top-level topic to show them where they are at a glance, and that the breadcrumb navigation isn't "broken".
Regards,

Private support: