topic id's underscore vs hyphen

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

timb

topic id's underscore vs hyphen

Unread post by timb »

Hi
I have just started using HM7 today. I like it!

I notice that HM6 created topic id's like so Call_PPL_File and now HM7 does it like this PPL-Tips-and-Tricks.

I don't think this is a problem but I prefer the new hyphens. Is there an automatic way to reformat the old topic id's from the use of underscore to hyphen.

thanks

timb
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: topic id's underscore vs hyphen

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,

Sorry, but there's no global way to change the topic IDs from underscores to hyphens because those are created when the topic is created. Changing them involves updating all the internal references within the project. This happens automatically when you edit the ID in the Topic Options tab (left of the editor window at the top), but you can't do it globally. We also wouldn't recommend changing the old ones because that would break any references to your existing projects from other projects, or to your WebHelp pages for those topics in online versions of your help.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Tim,

Can you explain why you changed it?

I much prefer underscores, and now have to change them all back. Is there a setting to make that the default?

A hyphen has a meaning, at least in English, allowing nouns to be used as adjectives. e.g. a boiled-egg timer is not the same as a boiled egg-timer. Whereas an underscore does not have a meaning in English and is used in computer strings to represent a non-breaking space. Lets keep H&M logical.

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Martin,

You can prevent it for old topics in your output by turning off the "Replace blanks and underscores in HTML file names with hyphens" option in HTML Export Options. New topic IDs will generate hyphens by default, however. The semantic nature of hyphens does not apply in web file names, where hyphens are already very common.

This was changed back because we were sick of this entire discussion. We aren't going to change or discuss it again.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.