Bug - EWriter window size

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Martin Wynne

Bug - EWriter window size

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

I can't get the EWriter Position Wizard or size settings to work. The Ewriter window defaults to approx 800x600 every time.

This bug is masked when displaying from the compiler after the first time if the window is resized and the store registry option is being used. But 800x600 is annoyingly small for most users seeing it for the first time. Almost all of them will want it larger. ClientWidth:=Round(Screen.Width*0.85); in TForm.FormCreate would be a good startup size.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Bug - EWriter window size

Unread post by Tim Green »

Martin,

This isn't a bug. What you are seeing is your registry setting from an older publish. That doesn't go away when turn off the option to store the registry setting. When you turn the registry setting option on again, the window size stored in the registry is used when the eBook is opened. You will see that this is the case if you change the name of the output file. Then it will open at the defined size.

Your users won't see this problem because they will really be opening the book for the first time.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Thanks Tim.

There is a problem, but not the one as I described it. :?

The problem is related to the screen DPI. I'm using 120 DPI. If I set an EWriter window size, either directly or via the wizard, it gets reduced to 96/120 of the set size. So setting 1200 x 900 displays at 960 x 720. I have changed the folder and file names to confirm this is not related to the registry settings.

Presumably this is so that any of my users on 96 DPI don't see it too large. But a lot of my users are on 120 DPI like myself and want to see it at the size I have set.

Please can we have an option to use the actual size which is set, regardless of my DPI or the user's DPI?

regards,

Martin.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Hi Martin,

This is a small bug in the EXE viewer, we have fixed the problem with build 3630 today:
http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd
regardless of my DPI or the user's DPI?
No, that doesn't work. The setting is DPI dependent and must be. H&M calculates and exports the default size for the eBook window based on 96 DPI, but if you view it on 120 DPI (as you do), it must again be relative to this DPI value. In other words: with build 3630 you now see the same window size on your computer as you specified. If it is defined as 1200 px wide, it will be 1200 pixels on your computer. On a different Windows with 96 DPI, the window will be 960 pixels wide. This matches the smaller font sizes on that computer.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH
Martin Wynne

Alexander Halser wrote:This is a small bug in the EXE viewer, we have fixed the problem with build 3630
Many thanks Alexander. Brilliant service from EC-Software again. :)

May I suggest that you set the ClientWidth and ClientHeight instead of the window size? Different versions of Windows have different border widths and caption bar height. Setting the client sizes ensures that the intended content fits the window without causing scrollbars to appear in some versions of Windows.

regards,

Martin.
Alexander Halser
EC-Software Support

Unread post by Alexander Halser »

Martin, you are basically right with this argument. But I hear ya screaming that this makes it practically impossible to define the absolute size of the viewer window :twisted:

Let's keep a sense of proportion: the differences between the window borders on different Windows versions are relatively small. Compared to the differences between 96 and 120 DPI, which is 25%. So, the slightly different client size will not break the layout of the content. This is the entire point of proportional window scaling. And I suggest to tick the option "Save window position in registry", which makes the pre-defined window size obsolete after the first view.
Alexander Halser
Senior Software Architect, EC Software GmbH