Secondary TOC - publish problems

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Paul Elbertse

Secondary TOC - publish problems

Unread post by Paul Elbertse »

Good morning,

I cannot manage to publish a secondary TOC only.
I created a new TOC, called TOC-2.
In this TOC there is 1 topic, manually created without any reference to other topics.
I publish to a new folder, without a skin, with the option selected TOC to publish: TOC-2.

H&M publishes a lot more than this.
The TOC only contains the topic in this TOC-2 but through the keyword index I can still access the topics
that should not be in the publish output.
The compiler messages also gives me errors about references to topics not included in this build.

What am I doing wrong?

I have a Test project where I tested the second TOC function and it worked just fine.
I don't understand anymore.

I know that in my program options it says: allow dead links.
But where are the links coming from?

I think I just found the problem but in my opinion this is not logic.
Some Topics in my main TOC (Table of Contents) have a Include in builds "Webhelp".
The publish I am doing is based on settings: Include options: Webhelp.
BUT, I only want the TOC-2 to be published, not the Table of contents!
So, the program is not looking at the TOC-2 only, but also at the build options in the other TOC.

Can you clarify?

Thanks.
NB I will be away all afternoon, so will test again tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Paul
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Secondary TOC - publish problems

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Paul,

When you publish with an alternative TOC both the TOC selection and the build options are taken into account. For example, if you publish to CHM with an alternative TOC the TOC of the CHM will include only those topics in the selected TOC. However, if you have also tagged other topics with the CHM build option then those topics will be included as invisible topics that can be accessed via hyperlinks, search and the keyword index. If this wasn't the case it wouldn't be possible include hidden topics that are needed. This behavior is unavoidable, and it may make it necessary for you to change your build option strategy slightly. For example, you may need to replace some format build options with user-defined options that you can switch on and off for specific TOCs, independent of the output format.
I know that in my program options it says: allow dead links.
But where are the links coming from?
The messages mean that there are links to topics not included in the current build somewhere in the topics that are included. These warnings will still be displayed when you allow dead links, as a reminder that the links are dead (i.e. they will look like links but nothing will happen or an error will be displayed when the user clicks on them).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.