Web Page - Set opening width and/or Sizing equal columns

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Rob Davis

Web Page - Set opening width and/or Sizing equal columns

Unread post by Rob Davis »

HI
Our users can have screens ranging from 4:3 to 16:9.

Is there a way to set the initial size of the Web Page window so that lines do not stretch out forever on the wide screens? (I have done this in .chm files, but haven't managed in Web Page output.)

Is there a way to set a table so that the columns are ALWAYS equally distributed? I have tried using 'Size Table Manually setting each column separately to 33 %, but the first column still expands if I drag to the right on a wide screen.

Thanks

Rob
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Web Page - Set opening width and/or Sizing equal columns

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Rob,

You can't really define the window size of a web page because that's controlled by the user's browser settings. The only way to do it would be to open a new window per script, and in most cases that would get blocked as a popup. This is normal behavior in all browsers and there is really no reason to try to change it.
Rob Davis wrote:Is there a way to set a table so that the columns are ALWAYS equally distributed? I have tried using 'Size Table Manually setting each column separately to 33 %, but the first column still expands if I drag to the right on a wide screen.
When you first create a table the columns will be equally distributed. However, as soon as you adjust the size of columns with the mouse this automatically sets both affected columns to fixed width. You can reverse that with the Lock tool in the tables tab. In addition to this, the widths of HTML-style table columns are primarily influenced by the their content, which his priority over width settings. For example, if you insert an image 200 pixels wide in a column with a defined width of 100 pixels the image will always force the column to be wider.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Rob Davis wrote:Is there a way to set the initial size of the Web Page window so that lines do not stretch out forever on the wide screens?
Hi Rob,

The width of the browser window is a user setting, you can't change it from within the H&M content. But you can change how much of it H&M uses, leaving a blank area on the right.

In the skin, go to Configuration > Publishing Options > Webhelp > Layout

Find this line:

Code: Select all

<div id="hmcontainer">
and change it to something like:

Code: Select all

<div id="hmcontainer" style="max-width:1000px;">
Change the 1000 width to whatever you want. Bear in mind that some users on hi-res (4K) screens probably won't like it.

Generally the intention is that users set their browser width to whatever they want.

p.s. Don't forget to save the skin before publishing, if you don't have it open at the same time.

regards,

Martin.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:For example, if you insert an image 200 pixels wide in a column with a defined width of 100 pixels the image will always force the column to be wider.
Hi Tim,

Not if you set table-layout:fixed; in the CSS. The only reason to do this usually is to provide much faster rendering of complex tables.

regards,

Martin.