What is the "timed browser cache" option?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Andrey Bushman

What is the "timed browser cache" option?

Unread post by Andrey Bushman »

What means the "timed browser cache" located on the "skin include options" group, on the publish settings? Often I see republished project is displayed as "old" in my browser (i.e. like a not modified version). I tried press F5, Ctrl + F5, Shift + F5, but it doesn't help often. How can I fix it? Can checked value of this option to help me?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: What is the "timed browser cache" option?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Andrey,

The timed browser cache is a new technology introduced in Premium Pack 2.5 that is also available in a couple of the standard skins. It solves the problem where your WebHelp users often had to clear their browser cache or reload the page several times to see new and updated content when the re-visited the site soon after visiting your page the last time.

It's actually quite complicated, but effectively what it does is reduce the cache timeout period of your WebHelp to just 30 minutes. This means that if a visitor comes to your page more than 30 minutes later than the last time they visited, topic pages and the TOC and the keyword index will always be loaded directly from the server and not from the browser cache. However, since the cache is active for 30 minutes they still get the benefit of fast reloads from the cache when they revisit pages during their current browsing session (which will generally not be longer than 30 minutes).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Andrey Bushman

Re: What is the "timed browser cache" option?

Unread post by Andrey Bushman »

Thank you for clarification.