Doc: we still strongly recommend choosing SubVersion

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Andrey Bushman

Doc: we still strongly recommend choosing SubVersion

Unread post by Andrey Bushman »

H&M 7 Documentation wrote: Help & Manual now also includes active support for Microsoft Team Foundation Server version control, in addition to the existing support for the open-source SubVersion and the older Microsoft Visual SourceSafe.

If you are choosing a version control system for Help & Manual we still strongly recommend choosing SubVersion as the best and most flexible option. However, if you are already working in a TFS environment you can now use it to actively manage your Help & Manual projects.
I think this is precipitate statement... I listened this and SubVersion is not a best choice as I understand. Linus's arguments are very convincing for me.
waldemar.hersacher

Re: Doc: we still strongly recommend choosing SubVersion

Unread post by waldemar.hersacher »

I haven't listen to Linus Thorvalds statement. But I don't think that any product is a better choice in any use case than an other product.

I know three SVN installations.
No 1 had two repositories. On one repositry was 5 person team the other was a 3 person team.
No 2 has one repository. This is for a 2 person team.
No 3 has one repository. This is for a 1 person team.

All of these installations is common that they are only accessible from the local company network.
I need one day to understand the concept, install and setup the server and the clients and got it run to work.
We never lost any revision or had a damage to the repository data base.
I know from No 3 that the repository data base is now at least on the third machine moving from Win XP to Win7 and now to Win8.1.

What else can any other product do better?

And I don't mind about the size of the repository data base. What is 12 GByte (as mentioned in one comment) on a 1 TByte harddisc, nothing. For backup on tape this maybe an item.
Waldemar
Andrey Bushman

waldemar.hersacher wrote:I haven't listen to Linus Thorvalds statement.
What else can any other product do better?
Linus answered to your question...

I don't want to begin dispute. I don't agree with the categorical statement written in H&M7 documentation only.
Darren Rose

Unread post by Darren Rose »

BUT Linus is not talking about using it with Help and Manual is he (I haven't listened to whole video) - so his statements are for general use

Whereas the statement in the manual is the authors of Help and Manual stating the best system to use with THEIR product - so I would expect them to know this better than Linus does
Andrey Bushman

Darren Rose wrote:BUT Linus is not talking about using it with Help and Manual is he (I haven't listened to whole video) - so his statements are for general use

Whereas the statement in the manual is the authors of Help and Manual stating the best system to use with THEIR product - so I would expect them to know this better than Linus does
If to use HMXP format, then any VCS can be used. If to use HMXZ format then we get the same problem for each VCS - it can't merge non-text files correctly. This announcement would be correct if developers had experience of using of different VCS (including different in architecture) - Git for example. If they had such experience, then it would be interesting to me to learn, than worse there was Git? Real arguments are interesting for me.

P.S. I am learning Git, therefore such info is interesting for me.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

This whole discussion is moot because Help & Manual does not currently have active support for git. We may add active support for git in the future, but at the moment active support is restricted to Subversion, Team Foundation Server and the obsolete Visual SourceSafe. The documentation refers to the choice between Team Foundation Server and Subversion. If you are able to choose, then we continue to strongly recommend Subversion over TFS. It is easier to install and maintain and much more flexible.

Git may be even better. I can't comment on that at the moment, but the question does not arise yet because it is not actively supported. You can still use it passively, however, so that should not be a problem.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.