trouble pasting a formatted table within a table

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Kathleen Laughlin

trouble pasting a formatted table within a table

Unread post by Kathleen Laughlin »

I frequently add a table containing a note or tip to my text. This table is two rows, each with a color selection. The top row contains a NOTE or TIP icon and the second row contains the actual note text.

In version 7.0.0 Build 3631, I cannot paste the NOTE table within another table, though I was able to do this in earlier versions. Instead of adding the NOTE table to the existing table, the contents of the NOTE table overwrites ALL existing text and rows in the outer table.

I am attaching an example of what things should look like.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: trouble pasting a formatted table within a table

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Kathleen,

This is actually the result of a new feature: It is now possible to paste rows and columns with content from one table to another.

To paste an entire table you just need to be very careful that you are copying and pasting the entire table and not just rows and columns. Instead of dragging with the mouse or using CTRL+Click and SHIFT+Click, position the mouse to the left of the table and click once with the left mouse button. This will select the entire table. Then you can copy and paste it into another table as before.

Tip: Use Snippets

The easiest way to manage items like this with specific formatting that you want to reuse is with a snippet. You can store them in little XML files in your project folder and insert copies of them whenever you want to use them.

1) Create the complete item you want to reuse with all components, using some dummy text in places where text is necessary. You can do this with toggles, note boxes, lists, tables and any other kind of complex layout that you want to reuse over and over again.
2) Select the entire item you want to reuse.
3) Select File > Save Snippet in the Project > Manage Topics tab and save the snippet in your project folder with a descriptive name.
4) To use the snippet, click in the place where you want to insert a new item, select the Snippet tool in Write > Insert Object. Activate the options "From File" and "Copy & paste into text". Then select the snippet and click OK.

See this chapter in the help for instructions on using snippets:
http://helpandmanual.com/help/index.htm ... ippets.htm

Snippets can be stored topic files in the current project, as external XML files on their own or as topic files in their own project, which can then be used to edit and manage them efficiently. In addition to this, you can also save snippets along with shared stylesheets in a "style repository" that allows you to share both your project stylesheet and snippets between any number of other projects. This provides standardized styles edited in a single location for all your projects, plus snippets that use those styles and thus appear formatted in exactly the same way in all projects.

See this chapter in the help for details on style repositories:
http://helpandmanual.com/help/index.htm ... tories.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.