Picture hotspot highlights anchor target

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alex Small

Picture hotspot highlights anchor target

Unread post by Alex Small »

Hi,

I'm trying for reveal the method to highlight the anchor target when I click the picture hotspot. The anchor inserted in a table's cell with number in the same topic.
Applying the Topic link in the Hotspot editor centralizes target position on a screen only.
I guess it is possible with script attached. Is it?
May be someone already found the way?

Thanks!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Picture hotspot highlights anchor target

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alex,

I'm not quite clear on what you want to achieve here. Do you want the anchor position to be somehow highlighted visibly when the user clicks on it, instead of actually moving to the anchor location? That would only work if the anchor was already in view. Or do you want to scroll to it AND highlight it?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alex Small

Unread post by Alex Small »

Hi Tim,

Yes, to scroll AND highlight.
I found an old similar topic (http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewtopic.php?t=6720) but sample file downloading was prohibited there.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Alex,

That's not provided for in the current implementation of hotspots or links. You would need to add your own javascript to do that.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
VaLene Hulme

Unread post by VaLene Hulme »

I'm also struggling with this issue of a hotspot NOT scrolling and highlighting the anchor text. When I publish a sample help file with an older skin (Premium Pack 2.15\CHM Skins\CHM_LightBlue.hmskin), the hotspots scroll to the anchor, and the anchor text blinks a couple of times. This is what I want. However, I'm now using a newer skin (EC Software\Help and Manual7\Templates\HTML Skins\Integrated iFrames Blue Header), and the hotspots just jump straight to the anchor - and if the anchor is near the bottom of the page, there's no visual clue of where you're supposed to look. I've tried almost all the H&M7 skins with this same result. I want the look of the new skin with hotspots that scroll to the anchor blink the anchor. Is this possible? It seems that this used to be the normal function. I'm using H&M 7.0.8 Build 3780.

Thanks for any information,
VaLene
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Valene,
VaLene Hulme wrote:I want the look of the new skin with hotspots that scroll to the anchor blink the anchor. Is this possible? It seems that this used to be the normal function. I'm using H&M 7.0.8 Build 3780.
Unfortunately, this "scroll and blink" behavior is only available in the Premium Pack skins. The one you are currently using is one of the standard skins included in Help & Manual and does not have this feature. It also doesn't open the toggle containing the anchor if the anchor is inside a closed toggle.

I am afraid I also have to admit that I didn't use the blink function in the new Premium Pack 3 responsive skins, because I had no feedback on whether people liked it. So far, nobody seems to have missed it, although I thought it would be a good idea at the time. Personally I find visual cues like this very useful. That is also why I programmed the scroll to happen visibly instead of being a sudden jump, because that gives the user a visual cue on where they are going (that is still included, of course). I think I will now consider reviving the brief blink to indicate where the anchor location is as well. I'm not sure whether it will make it into the upcoming 3.1 update, but it is now on the list again. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Tobias Escher

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

Just adding my +1, I'd also appreciate the blinking when jumping to an anchor in PP3.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Tobias Escher wrote:Just adding my +1, I'd also appreciate the blinking when jumping to an anchor in PP3.
Thanks for the confirmation! :)
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: This will be included in 3.1, along with a configuration variable for disabling the blink effect if you want, although it will be on by default. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Tobias Escher

Unread post by Tobias Escher »

Awesome!
Even more awesome, because this message needs more characters :)
VaLene Hulme

Unread post by VaLene Hulme »

Thank you for the clarification. The variable to disable the blink for some people will be excellent. I'll try to convince my boss to purchase the Premium Pack 3.1. Do you know approximately when that will be released? Thanks again.
Tim Green
Site Admin

VaLene Hulme wrote:Thank you for the clarification. The variable to disable the blink for some people will be excellent. I'll try to convince my boss to purchase the Premium Pack 3.1. Do you know approximately when that will be released? Thanks again.
This should be at the beginning of next month, along with Help & Manual 7.1 (which will be needed for it). But you could purchase now anyway, because you will get the update free of charge as soon as it is released. :)
Regards,

Private support: