Table cell borders don't show up on one table

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Vaughn Johnson

Table cell borders don't show up on one table

Unread post by Vaughn Johnson »

Hi,

I am working on a user manual with tables of data and I've run into a problem. Of the two tables I copied over from Excel, one of them refuses to show any cell borders. I set them up in Tables - Properties and have my Table border set to 2 and the cell border set to 1. When I exit the Properties window, I see that the problem table does not show any lines. I set up the other table with the exact same settings, and it shows the cell borders fine.

The first table is 9 rows by 7 columns, and the second table is 107 rows by 6 columns.

The cell borders also don't appear on the problem table whether I publish PDF or Webhelp versions of the table.

Both tables were set up exactly the same way in Excel.

Thanks,
Vaughn
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Table cell borders don't show up on one table

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Vaughn,

Please mail a small demo project illustrating the problem and a small Excel file with a sample table for this to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check it out right away. Before doing this, however, please make sure that you are using the current version of Help & Manual 7. Since this is a new release, updates are going to be released quite frequently in the first period. You can check your installed version with Help > About. The current version is 7.0 Build 3631. If you need to update you can download the latest installer from

http://www.helpandmanual.com/downloads.html?upd

Just install on top of your current version to update.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Vaughn Johnson

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me. I checked and I am running the latest version of Help + Manual, so I will send your support team a demo of the problem to look at on your end.

Thanks,
Vaughn
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Vaughn,

Update:

This is a problem caused by programs like Excel applying explicit inline formatting to all cells when they are copied and pasted, even when they don't have any explicitly defined attributes. You can fix it by applying a table style to the table in Help & Manual. You will then be asked if you want to reset the local formatting, which will then solve the problem.

To do this, just click inside the table and then display the table properties, either from the Table tab or from the right-click context menu. Then select any style from the Table Style: drop-down list to trigger the dialog asking you if you want to reset the formatting. Alternatively, you can define a table style for the table in advance in Write > Styles > Edit Styles and then use that to simultaneously reset the inline formatting in the table and to apply the formatting you want.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Vaughn Johnson

This solution worked perfectly! Thanks.