DOCX Output Issues

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Tim Frost

DOCX Output Issues

Unread post by Tim Frost »

Maybe my profound distaste for, and lack of experience of, Microsoft Word is hindering me. But I cannot find a way around two simple issues in publishing a very simple 10-page document to DOCX.

First, although CHAPTER_HEADING1 and CHAPTER_HEADING2 are expanded from the top and second levels of my H&M TOC in the body of the text, they do not expand on the Contents page. The contents page appears just as is does in the template (copied from 'clean style'), with just the headings from 1 to 6 still between % markers, all pointing to page 4. Page 4 is the second page of my body text, after the cover and the contents, and with both heading1 and heading2 changed to 'page break before'. I had removed the unwanted 'introduction' page; has that prevented the table of contents entries expanding?

Second, I have several Subhead_atoc_ paragraphs in my body text, which appear in the word output formatted with the correct point size but with all the other attributes of my normal body style. They lack the bold, italic, and increased vertical spacing from my Subhead_atoc_ style. Yet if I select one of these paragraphs, the "H&M Subhead_atoc_" style appears as selected as the Style pulldown in Word, even though it is not applied. The only way to get the correct appearance of the document is to select each paragraph in turn and then 'apply' the style manually. Publishing to PDF does not have this issue.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: DOCX Output Issues

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Tim,

This works just like any other TOC placeholder that you create in Word because it is a TOC placeholder created in Word. Make sure you are using the latest build of Help & Manual 7.When the Word file displays automatically after publishing (you MUST enable this!), look at the screen carefully and click on the "Enable Content" button next to "SECURITY WARNING Macros have been disabled." Otherwise the TOC and other automatic components will not auto-generate.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

Thanks. I had macros completed disabled so I did not see a warning banner. But the loss of formatting on my Subhead_atoc_ paragraphs remains. They have lost bold, italic and extra space below, although the style is included with correct attributes in the styles list. Bold and italic text attributes in normal text appear correctly. I am using build 3631.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Tim Frost wrote:But the loss of formatting on my Subhead_atoc_ paragraphs remains. They have lost bold, italic and extra space below, although the style is included with correct attributes in the styles list. Bold and italic text attributes in normal text appear correctly. I am using build 3631.
Check that you don't have different attributes activated in the style for print output. All styles can have two sets of attributes: one for electronic output and one for print type output (Word, PDF). If the tab for the print attributes is activated in the style definition you need to check the settings there.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Frost

The print attributes are enabled and are the same as the screen attributes. 'Same as screen view' is checked. I tried creating a new stand-alone style named 'test' to check that the problem was not related to the use of 'special' style name 'Subhead_atoc_', and also used a different font from the normal font. The font name and size are preserved in the Word output, but the bold and italic attributes are lost. If I select the paragraph and apply the 'H&M test' font in Word, the correct paragraph style is shown as expected.

The font attributes for 'test' are now: Times New Roman, Size 12pt, Bold, Italic, Color, LeftIndent, FirstIndent, RightIndent, SpaceBefore, Alignment. For Subhead_atoc_ the style is: Based on "Normal" +Size 11pt, Bold, Italic, SpaceBefore

I am using Word 2013. However I tested opening the document in Libre Office 4.4.5 Writer, and the paragraphs ARE correctly displayed there (though the macros do not appear to run).

If you are unable to reproduce the problem I can send you screen shots or a cut-down project.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Tim,

Please mail a small demo project and your .docx template file to support AT ec-software.com (replace the AT with @) and we will check it for you.
Regards,

Private support:
Tim Frost

Mail just sent, with an example added in your basic empty new project and using your unchanged Word template.