Create a 7th header level

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Alex Mirsky

Create a 7th header level

Unread post by Alex Mirsky »

The project I am working on has to use more than 6 header levels. I have heard that is not possible so does anybody have a work around? Preferably not having to manually create a look-alike header for every topic I have past 6. The type of manual I am writing would require more than 6 and the after 4 your header will not be read is not realistic. The way it is set up would need to have more level.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Create a 7th header level

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Alex,

You cannot have more than 6 header levels in PDF, which is the output format you were referring to in your recent mails to support on this subject. This is an absolute limit with no workaround. You can create more levels than that in WebHelp and CHM, although it would be just as much a bad idea there as it would be in PDF. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alex Mirsky

As in the PDF file format cannot recognize a 7th level, or your program does not allow it?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Help & Manual does not support more than 6 levels in PDF now or in the future. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Alex Mirsky

Does anybody know of a workaround besides merging everything into 6?
julio

Unread post by julio »

Alex Mirsky wrote:Does anybody know of a workaround besides merging everything into 6?
We have a document that contains more than six levels for its topics. That happens because this document's structure mimics the hierarchy of classes and their events, methods, and properties. To circumvent that limitation, we use a conditional text for PDF outputs, as in the next figure.
As you can see, if the output is PDF, a title is added between "IFPDF" and "END". The only problem is that you cannot use chapter numbers, they are only available up to level six.
That solution is perfectly viable with H&M 7.0.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.