As two modules to link the references there and back

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Nataliya Solyanina

As two modules to link the references there and back

Unread post by Nataliya Solyanina »

Hi, please help me.
I have two separate module in the form of projects. In the module "A" I need to put a link to the topic in module "B". In the module "A" I have added the project "B" and set the link from A to B.
OK.
But I also need to put a link to the topic from B to A. I also added in the project "B" module "A". But then I have an error when compiling and it is logical, because in the project "B" is a module of the project "A" together with the module "B".

How two different modules connected in a link in each of these modules?
Because then these modules I put in my main project.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: As two modules to link the references there and back

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Nataliya,

Your construction will only result in serious errors because you have created an endless loop: You have inserted Project B in Project A, and then you have inserted Project A in Project B. That cannot work: Imagine you have two boxes, A and B. Put Box B inside Box A. Now, without taking Box B out of Box A, put Box A inside Box B. You see what I mean?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Nataliya,

To link to topics between modules you basically just need to create a normal link, selecting the project containing the topic in the link dialog. Then you can select the topic directly. The details of how you do it depend on the output format, however.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Nataliya Solyanina

Tim Green wrote:Hi Nataliya,

Your construction will only result in serious errors because you have created an endless loop: You have inserted Project B in Project A, and then you have inserted Project A in Project B. That cannot work: Imagine you have two boxes, A and B. Put Box B inside Box A. Now, without taking Box B out of Box A, put Box A inside Box B. You see what I mean?
Hi Tim,

Yes, You are right, I posted this screenshot to show that in this way I can make the communication link between the modules of the project only unilaterally (one way). But I don't know how to make the connection between these modules in each of them. :?:
Tim Green wrote:To link to topics between modules you basically just need to create a normal link, selecting the project containing the topic in the link dialog. Then you can select the topic directly. The details of how you do it depend on the output format, however.
You did not understand me a little bit. I can't create a normal link in my main the project, because I do not refer to these modules in it. These modules I added to my main project, so that users could see the full table of contents of the project.

I need to link the references to these two projects, but in each of them. Then the user can, if he is in the project "A" follow the link in the topic in the project "B". If the user in the project "B" follow the link in the topic of the project "A".
So I want to link from "A" -> "B" and from "B" -> "A".
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Nataliya,
You did not understand me a little bit. I can't create a normal link in my main the project, because I do not refer to these modules in it.
I understood you, and you can create a normal link. That is what I explained to you. See this screenshot of the link dialog:
ModuleLinks.png
However, as I wrote, how this works depends on your output format and how it is structured. I still need that information from you to provide a complete answer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Private support:
Nataliya Solyanina

However, as I wrote, how this works depends on your output format and how it is structured. I still need that information from you to provide a complete answer.
Hi Tim,

Sorry... I am doing my project in HTML format.
If I'm in the project "A" creates the link, but the project module "B" are not included in "A", then after compiling I don't see my link "A" -> "B".
Tim Green
Site Admin

Nataliya Solyanina wrote:If I'm in the project "A" creates the link, but the project module "B" are not included in "A", then after compiling I don't see my link "A" -> "B".
In WebHelp the two projects only need to be included in the same help system for the links to work, and if you are merging at publish time (which is the only method possible in WebHelp) then the topic will be there as long as you don't exclude the module. So if the A is the master and B is the child, or if A and B are both included in the same master, then links between them will work.

You just need to make sure that ALL the IDs in all your included projects are unique. If you have topics with the same IDs in a publish-time merged project then the topics will ovewrite each other in the output and you will get errors.

It is different if you want to link to a topic in a different WebHelp help system. Then you need to use an Internet link and link to the location where the other WebHelp system is installed on the server.
Regards,

Private support:
Nataliya Solyanina

Hi Tim,
It is different if you want to link to a topic in a different WebHelp help system. Then you need to use an Internet link and link to the location where the other WebHelp system is installed on the server.
Oh, no, no... All projects will be created by me and in the same format. :)
In WebHelp the two projects only need to be included in the same help system for the links to work, and if you are merging at publish time (which is the only method possible in WebHelp) then the topic will be there as long as you don't exclude the module. So if the A is the master and B is the child, or if A and B are both included in the same master, then links between them will work.
OK. Do I understand it correctly. So after compiled in each of these projects links will not be visible. But in my main project in each of these links will be available. Right?
Tim Green
Site Admin

OK. Do I understand it correctly. So after compiled in each of these projects links will not be visible. But in my main project in each of these links will be available. Right?
No, the links will also be available in the published/compiled version of your project. So long as the target topics that the links point to are not excluded from your output, the links will be there. If you are excluding the topics in some builds you need to use strategies for handling the links to make sure that they are removed, disabled or replaced with alternative text or alternative links. See this topic in the help for instructions:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ar_ids.htm

This topic on links between modules may also be helpful, although most of the things covered there are for issues relating to links between runtime CHM modules:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... _links.htm
Regards,

Private support:
Nataliya Solyanina

Hi Tim,
I apologize that we were not able to respond immediately. Everything turned out.
I created a copy of the project, it added all my modules as build for the main project. And now I can tie them together with links.
It's great. :D

Thanks for the help. :roll:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Nataliya,

No problem, you're very welcome. 8)
Regards,

Private support: