Default line-height changes in default.css in 7.0/7.0.5?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Katriina Vakkila

Default line-height changes in default.css in 7.0/7.0.5?

Unread post by Katriina Vakkila »

Hi,

I upgraded from 6.5 to 7.0/7.0.5, ran my existing WebHelp publishing tasks, and noticed that the Line Spacing settings I have set in my Styles no longer apply.
Specifically, the Normal (<p>) and Bulletin line-heights have increased.

When I compare the 6.5 vs. 7.0.5 generated default.css files, the line-height values have changed from 1.50 to 1.80 (paragraph) and 1.0 to 1.20 (Bulletin). In the Styles > Paragraph settings > Line Spacing field, I still have 1.5 Lines (Normal style) and Single (Bulletin).

Comparing the two css files, I see there are plenty of other changes too, thus I'm thinking the defaul.css generation has changed somehow. I also played around with the Line Spacing setting a bit and noticed that setting Double lines (2.50) in the style results in line-height = 3.00 in the css file.

So why the sudden increase? And more importantly, what should I do in order to preserve the previous line-heights? (Other than edit the default.css file manually)

/* Paragraph styles */
p /* Normal */
{
text-align: left;
text-indent: 0px;
line-height: 1.50;
padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
margin: 4px 11px 8px 12px;
}

.p_Bulletin /* Bulletin */
{
text-indent: -15px;
line-height: 1.0;
margin: 4px 11px 8px 38px;
}

/* Paragraph styles */
p /* Normal */
{
text-align: left;
text-indent: 0px;
line-height: 1.80;
padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
margin: 4px 11px 8px 12px;
}

.p_Bulletin /* Bulletin */
{
font-size: 10pt;
text-indent: -15px;
line-height: 1.20;
margin: 4px 11px 8px 38px;
}
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Default line-height changes in default.css in 7.0/7.0.5?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Katriina,

Congratulations -- you're the first user to even notice this! 8)

Actually, it is the line heights in Help & Manual 6 and before that were wrong. The values in Help & Manual 7 are now correct. The adjustment had to be made because line heights in HTML are actually different from line heights in a word processor. For example, a value of 1.50 is OK for PDF and DOCX, but it must be increased to 1.80 to get the same spacing in HTML.

If you publish to PDF or DOCX and WebHelp and compare them you will find that the results are now much closer to each other in Help & Manual 7 than they were in version 6 and earlier.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.