Using skin variables in PDF?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Bregje van Ginneken

Using skin variables in PDF?

Unread post by Bregje van Ginneken »

I am happy to use a skin to publish several .CHM-files and in the same time organize my variables for all these projects from there.

Can I use that same skin to publish a PDF or other format, to manage the same variables from there? I would prefer not to use the Build Event, because the HELPMAN.EXE is differently located in the directory where the actual build will take place than on my own local computer.

If there is no other solution than using the Build Event with a seperate .txt-file for the variables, how do I fill in the commands in the textboxes.

In the screenshot you will see what I tried. I have allready added a .txt to the last textbox, but that did not help. The PDF-variables are not changed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Using skin variables in PDF?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Bregje,

You can't use skins directly with PDF files because they are primarily designed for WebHelp and CHM output. There is also no need to use build events for publishing like this -- they are really only designed for other operations you want to perform after publishing. You can create a normal publishing task action for each PDF you want to create and define all the variables you want to set in the Custom Variables tab. If you already have a list that you are using with the /V= switch you can import it to the Custom Variables tab with the Import button.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Bregje van Ginneken

Hhm, but then I would have to update all the projects one by one from the central variable-list everytime I change a variable?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Bregje van Ginneken wrote:Hhm, but then I would have to update all the projects one by one from the central variable-list everytime I change a variable?
Alternatively, instead of using a build action, you could use real command line compiling with exactly the same commands. Then you just save the commands in a file with the extension .cmd in your project folder (or anywhere else you want if you adjust the paths in the commands accordingly) and perform the publish operation by double-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer. You can have as many publish operations in a single file as you like. Just put each operation on a separate line with a full command.

See this chapter in the help for more information:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ndline.htm
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Bregje van Ginneken

Thanks for thinking with me and making the options clear.

For now I will try to think of the manual update everytime I change a variable, as I am not ready yet to tackle the puzzle that is called "commandline". That would give a lot of other problems, beside the fact that I have no experience with such a thing.

Is there a "wishlist" for H&M where I can put this? :wink:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Bregje,
Bregje van Ginneken wrote:For now I will try to think of the manual update everytime I change a variable, as I am not ready yet to tackle the puzzle that is called "commandline". That would give a lot of other problems, beside the fact that I have no experience with such a thing.
Actually, you already have everything you need. You already have the command line in the Build Event you show in your screenshot. That is exactly what it is -- you just need to put the first and second parts together on a single line and store that in a text file with the extension .cmd. Then double-click on the file to execute it. That's all there is to it. 8)
Is there a "wishlist" for H&M where I can put this? :wink:
Yes, there is a Wish List section here in the forum:

http://helpman.it-authoring.com/viewforum.php?f=6

Check out the board index for all the other sections:

http://helpman.it-authoring.com/index.php
Regards,

Private support:
Bregje van Ginneken

Hhm, and I could copy the same command for the different projects in one .cmd-file?
At least than I have to run one .cmd-file instead of opening and updating every project by hand. That sounds promising!
Tim Green
Site Admin

Bregje van Ginneken wrote:Hhm, and I could copy the same command for the different projects in one .cmd-file?
At least than I have to run one .cmd-file instead of opening and updating every project by hand. That sounds promising!
Exactly! 8)
Regards,

Private support: