Difference in content look between H&M7 and EWriter eBook

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Swede

Difference in content look between H&M7 and EWriter eBook

Unread post by Swede »

We've been using H&M 5.6 for several years but I'm currently testing H&M 7 in preparation for an upgrade. Among other things, we're interested in publishing help files as EWriter eBooks instead of the currently used chm format. I've noticed some minor differences in content look between the H&M 7 project and the published EWriter eBook, exemplified with the two attached images. Just details but I'd like to sort them out if possible. The line below "Header" is thicker in the published EWriter eBook than in H&M 7 and the same goes for the border lines in the table. Both the text format and the table format are defined as styles. The project (including styles) was originally created in H&M 5.6 and then saved in H&M 7.
HM7.png
EWeB.png
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Difference in content look between H&M7 and EWriter eBoo

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Swede,

This is a little strange, I can't reproduce it on my systems here. Is it possible that you are viewing the eBook on a Windows system where the font scaling is set to a different value than the system on which you produced it? There are a lot more variable factors for screen display now that Windows has support for so many different screen resolutions and high-resolution monitors, and HM7 has real zoom and supports scaling fully.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

Hi Tim,
Viewing and producing were done on the same computer. I dont know if this is relevant but, unlike in the eBook, the lines do no change when I publish as webhelp.
Webhelp.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Swede,

The EWriter output is not DPI-aware. Try this:

Right-click on the .exe file.
Click Properties > Compatibility.
Tick the box for "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings".
Click OK.

If that makes the text too small, you can zoom it using Ctrl+MouseWheel (the usual keyboard zooming doesn't work in EWriter).

regards,

Martin.
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

Hi Tim,

Ticking "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" didn't help but I did some more random trouble-shooting. The problem with line thickness can be solved as follows:

1. Open 5.6 project in H&M7.
2. Go to Configuration > Publishing Options > Webhelp > Layout.
3. Re-select the current Page Layout option (select another option and then re-select the current one).
4. Save and publish as EWriter eBook.

This line thickness is now correct. However, the TOC gets more cramped, i.e. the icons won't fit. See images below.

This is before re-selecting Page Layout option. The lines in the table and below the heading are thicker than in the H&M project files. The TOC looks fine though:
ExibitA.png
This is after re-selecting Page Layout option. The line thickness is correct but the TOC is cramped:
ExibitB.png
Any ideas on how to solve this?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Swede,

Are you using the same templates from your HM5 project in HM7??? That won't work. You must either reset the templates completely to the new defaults in Help & Manual 7 or (better) use one of the skins from Help & Manual 7. If you reset to the defaults you need to do this in ALL your HTML templates (HTML Page Template, Layout, Table of Contents, Keyword Index, Full Text Search).
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.