EWriter Zoom and Print

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Simon Dismore

EWriter Zoom and Print

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

More questions about the v7 EWriter wrapper, I'm afraid...

When EWriter prints it applies the end user's most recent IE page setup. If the footer includes the URL it reads something like http://127.0.0.1:8000/helpman.7/E736B83 ... 51AE/index..., and if I print to PDF the filename will be E736B835-04EC-4263-A388-5D056A1.pdf etc. Can this be overridden to remove (or customize) the printed header and footer? If not, can the URL be cleaned up at all?

Currently, EWriter ignores the zoom commands <Ctrl><+>, <Ctrl><->, <Ctrl><0>. Is this by design? What's the alternative?

Thanks for any advice.
Martin Wynne

Re: EWriter Zoom and Print

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Simon Dismore wrote:Currently, EWriter ignores the zoom commands <Ctrl><+>, <Ctrl><->, <Ctrl><0>. Is this by design? What's the alternative?
Hi Simon,

Ctrl+MouseWheel works for zooming.

Martin.
Simon Dismore

Unread post by Simon Dismore »

Thanks very much Martin. I'm beginning to see why you like EWriter – it's more interesting than I had at first appreciated. :idea:
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Simon Dismore wrote:Thanks very much Martin. I'm beginning to see why you like EWriter – it's more interesting than I had at first appreciated. :idea:
Hi Simon,

Yes it's great, especially for installing with software instead of CHM because you can then launch other executables directly from a link. Which you can then write to do whatever you want, such as interactive tutorials, etc.

You can even launch an executable directly from the TOC, although if you do that there is no way to add keywords and include it in the Index. Unless I'm missing something.

There is one disappointment -- EWriter is not dpi-aware. I'm not sure why, because it works fine when set as unscaled via the file properties and zoomed manually. Unfortunately you can't expect a user to do that, so anyone on 144dpi or above gets a fuzzy Help system.

And one mystery -- why H&M's own Help isn't supplied in EWriter format. It would seem the obvious way to promote it as a replacement for CHM.

Martin.