Templates with Image Links

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Prajakta Narkar

Templates with Image Links

Unread post by Prajakta Narkar »

Hi,

Is there any provision to have a template with images which will have links. The links will be different for every topics.

The images can be defined in variables and can be used . But I am not sure how to get the dynamic links.

Regards,
Prajakta N
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Templates with Image Links

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Prajakta,

You can define content templates for topics that you can load when you create a topic. See this topic in the help for details:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... ontent.htm

You could included dummy image links in the template that you then edit after you create the topic. Theoretically you could create the link target as a user-defined variable and then add a local definition for that variable in the Topic Variables section in the Topic Options tab (left of the editor window). However, doing this would really be more work than just editing the dummy links in your template directly after it is loaded.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Prajakta Narkar

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the below info,

But I am not sure if content based templates can be used for old topics(existing ones) .

And regarding the link how would I link it to a existing topic in the a href tag in the html text variable.

Regards,
Prajakta
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Prajakta,
Prajakta Narkar wrote:But I am not sure if content based templates can be used for old topics(existing ones) .
No, templates are only for creating new topics. It would be physically impossible to "apply" a template like this to an existing topic. Your only option with an existing topic is to edit the existing topic. Sometimes, you do have to actually do a little work yourself... 8)
And regarding the link how would I link it to a existing topic in the a href tag in the html text variable.
Please study this chapter in the help for detailed information on everything to do with linking in Help & Manual:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... _links.htm
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Prajakta Narkar

Hi Tim,

Ya I went through the help. But still I have some issues:

In the template, I have this code: <a href="<%NEWLINK%>"><a>

I have defined NEWLINK as local and global variable both and have added text as new_ports.htm which is the topic Id for the target page. But it doesn't traverse.

Can you pls have a look and check.

Regards,
Prajakta
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Prajakta,

If the variable is in a topic content template and not on the topic page it will never get parsed -- unless you leave it in the topic after it gets injected into the topic when you create it. Even then it does not get parsed in the Help & Manual editor, but only when you actually publish to an output format. The template is a passive file that is only used when you create a new topic. It is never read or looked at at any other time. User-defined variables in your pages will only get parsed if they are actually in the topic page.
In the template, I have this code: <a href="<%NEWLINK%>"><a>
Where exactly in what template do you have this in? Help & Manual has a large number of different templates of different types for different purposes.
Regards,

Private support:
Prajakta Narkar

I have defined the variable once globally in the project.
In the HTML template I have added this code <a href="<%NEWLINK%>"></a> and then again added NEWLINK locally in the topic page where I specify the target topic ( new_ports.htm) to be opened.
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Prajakta Narkar wrote:In the HTML template I have added this code <a href="<%NEWLINK%>"></a> and then again added NEWLINK locally in the topic page where I specify the target topic ( new_ports.htm) to be opened.
Hi Prajakta,

That needs to be <a href="<%NEWLINK%>"><%NEWLINK%></a> if you expect to see a clickable link.

regards,

Martin.
Prajakta Narkar

Hi,

I am getting a clickable link as I have image in it.

But my concern is what should be entered in the local variable NEWLINK which will link another topic page. Currently I have added new_ports.htm which is a topic Id of a different topic.

Regards,
Prajakta
Prajakta Narkar

Hi,
Let me know if this functionality is available.

Regards,
Prajakta
Prajakta Narkar

Got how to do it.. thank you