Toggled Text

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

ccinocco

Toggled Text

Unread post by ccinocco »

:D I have the most current build installed (build 3681)
I am compiling to HTML Help (CHM)
I am using the default HTML template (no modifications)
I am using a Skin (see below)

I notice that when I click on a topic in the TOC that has toggled text, I see a quick flash of the hidden text. After that, I see only my toggle header (which is correct). The toggle opens as it should with no issues.

The flash is very quick...so I doubt most customers will even notice it (unless they are using a very very slow computer). SO, this isn't something we cannot live with - just wondering why it might be happening and if there is something that can be done to make it go away.

I am using an edited skin (to comply with our company branding standards) - but to ensure that I didn't cause the problem by over-editing, attached the H&M7 only HTML skin to my project. I get the same results using the unedited, default, "out-of-the-box" template created by the H&M engineers.

It makes no difference if the toggle below contains straight text, a table, or graphics.

Your opinion/suggestion is valued :)
Cindy @ Trimble
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Toggled Text

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cindy,

That is normal but it is unusual that you are able to see it. The toggles are normal text until they are initialized by the page scripts -- this makes it possible to view the contents of the page with JavaScript turned off. Normally this is so fast that it is never consciously visible -- it actually happens before the browser can even render anything on the page. I haven't been able to see it for years. I can only imagine that you're viewing it on a very slow computer or a very slow connection, or possibly both? 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
ccinocco

Working from home - yes, a slow connection. I was seeing it in this case.

BUT on the office today - and can still see it. Not using VPN - and I am working on a local machine - not over a network.

I have a brand new computer - so highly unlikely that it's a slow computer issue.

It's a FLASH - so like I said, not earth-shattering.

BUT if it is normal behavior - then no problem (although compiling it in H&M6, I do not see it :? - so interesting).
Cindy @ Trimble
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Cindy,

How many toggles do you have on the page? If you have a lot, that could explain it because the script needs to initialize each one individually.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
ccinocco

Only ONE... text above explains what the topic is for - topic in the toggle is in a table and outline the commands on the ribbon.

Other topics have 2-3 toggles and I see the first toggle flash - either tables or text in the toggles :D

Like I said - not a big deal. I was just wondering since I'd never seen it before.

Thanks.
Cindy @ Trimble