Pre-pend hmcontent file name with project title?

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Beth Harrison

Pre-pend hmcontent file name with project title?

Unread post by Beth Harrison »

Hello,

I publish three web help projects into a single directory. Until recently (since upgrading to version 7.0, I think, though I may have inadvertently messed this up myself :-)) my content files were pre-pended with the project name (for example, "admin_guide_content.htm" and "user_guide_content.htm") and all was well. Now, my contents files are generated as "hmcontent.htm", so of course each is overwritten in turn as I generate the projects.

Is there a way to change this back?

Thanks very much,
Beth
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Pre-pend hmcontent file name with project title?

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Beth,
Is there a way to change this back?
No, and what you have been doing up until now was actually an error that you should correct immediately. You should never ever publish separate WebHelp projects to the same folder. WebHelp is a self-contained system and each project must be in its own folder. If you have been doing this, this also means that you have been giving your main WebHelp files names other than "index.html", and that is also something that you should avoid.

What you can do is to combine your three projects as modules in Help & Manual and then publish them to a single WebHelp folder all together. Then they will have a common TOC and the search index will also include all the topics from all the projects. The actual source projects remain separate and can still be edited and published separately if you want.

To do this you choose which project is going to be the main or "Master" project and then insert the other projects in the TOC where you want them to appear. This doesn't physically import the other projects, it just inserts a reference to them so that Help & Manual displays and publishes them together with the main project, as though they were part of the main project.

VERY IMPORTANT: Before doing this, you must make absolutely certain that there are no duplicate topic IDs between the projects that you are using. See this chapter in the help for instructions:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/help/index ... odular.htm
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Beth Harrison

Re: Pre-pend hmcontent file name with project title?

Unread post by Beth Harrison »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response. I'll do as you suggest.

Much appreciated.

Beth