Search in EWriter eBook browser window

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Swede

Search in EWriter eBook browser window

Unread post by Swede »

Can free text search be used in the browser window of an EWriter eBook, e.g. to quickly find specific text segments in long topics? There is such a function in CHM files but I haven't found it for EWriter eBook. Is there one?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Search in EWriter eBook browser window

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Swede,

EWriter is "WebHelp in a box" so you can do anything with EWriter that you can do with WebHelp. To get search, you just need to use a WebHelp skin with the search function activated -- then you get the same search feature as in WebHelp.

The only restriction is that you must use the JavaScript search platform, because server-side PHP or ASP can't be provided inside the EWriter viewer. 8)
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

OK, good. I have created a hmskin-file based on our existing layout. Is there an easy way to activate or import the search function?
Tim Green
Site Admin

Swede wrote:OK, good. I have created a hmskin-file based on our existing layout. Is there an easy way to activate or import the search function?
It is exactly the same as normal WebHelp. To activate the search function (it is on by default) check in Configuration > Publishing Options > WebHelp > Navigation (in the skin, NOT in your project!!!). There you will find options for activating both the Search option and the Keyword Index. Then check in WebHelp > Full Text Search and make sure the JavaScript platform is activated.
Regards,

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

I'm sorry, I need to explain the function I'm looking for. In a CHM file, I can do a free text search in the text field on the right by clicking Ctrl+F. This will open a search dialog, see the image below (partly in Swedish, but you get the idea). Entering a search criterion highlights the hits in yellow in the text. Can you get something like this in EWriter eBook? (Corresponding functions are available in web browsers, e.g. Explorer and Chrome.)
CHM_search.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Yes, you will get this. But why don't you just try it? That's much quicker than posting all these questions, and it's free. 8)
Regards,

Private support:
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

Well, I have tried it but I can't get it to work in my published EWriter eBook. That's why I posting all these questions. What am I missing? Do I need to activate the functionality somewhere or should it work automatically?
Darren Rose

Unread post by Darren Rose »

If you follow Tim's instructions it works perfectly fine in eWriter output - see example image below where I can click on the search icon as circled in red and enter my search - I assume this is what you are trying to achieve?
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

No, sorry for being stubborn but that's not what I'm looking for. :? The free text search in Darren Rose's example works fine for me too. What I want to enable is the same functionality as in a chm file, i.e. free-text search in a currently displayed topic, not in the complete EWriter eBook. See screen dump below (sorry once again about the Swedish/English mix).

Step 1: On the chm file search tab ("Sök") I do a free text search for the word "Devices". All hits are listed in the field beneath the search field. In this example I decide to check out the topic "Devices with Hi-Res Displays".

Step 2: (Here's the thing I'm looking for.) In the topic "Devices with Hi-Res Displays", I want to find out more about support. To do this, I focus the topic and click Ctrl+F. This opens an additional search dialog ("Sök"). Entering the word "support" here will highlight the hits in that specific topic. This functionality is very handy in lengthy topics, e.g. parameter lists.

So, can this be done in EWriter eBook and if so how?
CHM_search_mk2.png
Tim Green
Site Admin

Hi Swede,

It was unclear what you were referring to until now... :) That isn't currently available but I'll ask our developers if it can be made possible.
Regards,

Private support:
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Hi Swede,

None of the usual browser keyboard shortcuts are available in EWriter. e.g. for zooming the only way is Ctrl+MouseWheel.

But you can search individual topics with a bit of extra work:

method 1. In the Search box enter your search term(s), followed by some of the distinctive words you can see at the top of the current topic. It's very likely that only the current topic will show in the results.

or:

method 2. Expand all toggles if any, right-click on the topic, Select All, Copy. Launch Windows Notepad or any text editor. Paste. Now you can search the text in the usual way.

I know that's far from ideal, but I have learned that every single thing you try to do on a computer turns out to be far from ideal. :(

You can take method 1 further by showing a unique topic reference number at the top of every topic in your project. Users then need to enter only the search terms and the topic reference number. The number is also useful for your users to quote when referring to a specific topic if asking for help. H&M can generate Context ID numbers for this purpose if you wish.

regards,

Martin.
Swede

Unread post by Swede »

Well that's that then. I kind of got my hopes up at "you can do anything with EWriter that you can do with WebHelp" but there you go. Anyway, thanks Tim, it would be great if the functionality could be added in a future release.
Thanks for your patience! :wink:
Tim Green
Site Admin

Update: I've just discussed this with Alexander and it isn't possible. There is no access to the standard browser functions like that in the embedded version of IE because it's not a browser -- it's really just the HTML rendering engine used in IE. Something like that would have to be added to the viewer itself and that isn't something that can be done easily or quickly... :?
Regards,

Private support: