E-Book Slow Start

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Darren Rose

Re: E-Book Slow Start

Unread post by Darren Rose »

Hi Tim

Yes I am using the "Fall" update i.e. version 1511 build 10586.3
Martin Wynne

Unread post by Martin Wynne »

Tim Green wrote:Re Surface Pro 3 heat: Did you get the i7 version? I've heard frequently that the cooling system on the Surface Pro can't really handle the i7, and that it throttles itself so frequently as a result that you actually get more sustained performance out of the i5. I got the i5 because of that and I've never had any heat problems -- it gets a little warm sometimes, but never more than that. :?
Hi Tim,

I have the i5 version of Surface Pro 3. In normal use it doesn't get very hot, but it does get a lot warmer if I use it while charging the battery. If it is doing an update I tend to plug the charger in, because you can't check the battery level while it is updating. But I may change my mind on that next time, and also lay it flat on a cold surface as a heat-sink. There is something not quite right in the power settings, because without the charger plugged in it shuts down after a short interval of no use, regardless of how I set the power settings. Admittedly I haven't tried changing them since the update. It's fine for the screen to go off, but I don't want it going into full hibernation if I leave it for a few minutes.

Do you know if they have changed the magnetic charging connector on the Surface Pro 4? It is really a poor design for such an open socket because the magnets attract all sorts of metal dust and dirt into it. I keep a bit of sticky tape over it while I'm out and about. The magnetic plunger connectors on the keyboard cover are a much better design.

Talking of Windows updates, since the last update on my Windows 7 system, it has stopped nagging me to update to Windows 10, and the Windows 10 icon has vanished from the taskbar. Perhaps they have been having problems with Windows 10?

regards,

Martin.
Martin Wynne

Darren Rose wrote:I can confirm the odd border on 3 sides here too - as per screenshot - never noticed it prior to installing Windows 10 "fall" update though
Hi Darren,

I notice you have a blue top title bar in your screenshot. How did you do that? On my Windows 10 system all title bars are white. I've grown to like them, but I can't see any way to change them if I didn't.

The 3-sided border looks even odder when the EWriter is not the active window. The blue changes to grey down the sides and white across the bottom. It looks so strange that I feel sure it must be a bug in the latest Windows 10 update.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,
Do you know if they have changed the magnetic charging connector on the Surface Pro 4? It is really a poor design for such an open socket because the magnets attract all sorts of metal dust and dirt into it. I keep a bit of sticky tape over it while I'm out and about. The magnetic plunger connectors on the keyboard cover are a much better design.
MS has made a point of keeping all the peripherals compatible. You can also use the much better type cover from the Surface Pro 4 on the 3 if you want, and I think the dock is compatible as well. I haven't noticed any dust connecting in my charger port, but I'm generally in pretty clean environments with it -- either at home or in a café.
Talking of Windows updates, since the last update on my Windows 7 system, it has stopped nagging me to update to Windows 10, and the Windows 10 icon has vanished from the taskbar. Perhaps they have been having problems with Windows 10?
The only problem they've really had has been people complaining about the nag messages. Be cautious, however: At some point it's probably going to change from an optional update to an important update that will be offered along with the normal patch Tuesday updates. I'm very impressed with Windows 10 so far. The only reason I haven't updated my main machine (8.1) is that it would be tempting fate to do it in the middle of a major project... :twisted:
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Darren Rose

Unread post by Darren Rose »

Martin Wynne wrote:
Darren Rose wrote:I can confirm the odd border on 3 sides here too - as per screenshot - never noticed it prior to installing Windows 10 "fall" update though
I notice you have a blue top title bar in your screenshot. How did you do that? On my Windows 10 system all title bars are white. I've grown to like them, but I can't see any way to change them if I didn't.
Hi Martin

Settings > Personalisation > Colours > Show colour on Start, taskbar, action centre and title bar = ON
Martin Wynne

Tim Green wrote:Re Surface Pro 3 heat: Did you get the i7 version? I've heard frequently that the cooling system on the Surface Pro can't really handle the i7, and that it throttles itself so frequently as a result that you actually get more sustained performance out of the i5. I got the i5 because of that and I've never had any heat problems -- it gets a little warm sometimes, but never more than that. :?
Hi Tim,

Returning to this topic because I have discovered why my Surface Pro 3 has been getting so warm. It's because I had the screen brightness set at 100%. Even if I reduce it, it was returning to 100% when the charger is plugged in. I have now changed the settings, and will make sure the brightness is turned well down when it is doing an update. It runs a lot cooler at 50%.

Having said that, I do find that it needs 100% brightness when used out and about in daylight, or at least it does for my eyes. A tablet computer isn't much use if it can be used only in dim light. If MS are claiming this "hybrid" device is the only device you ever need, the cooling capacity and battery life should be based on outdoor use with full screen brightness.

regards,

Martin.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Martin,

This is getting a little off-topic but I'm staying with it since the Surface is such a great HM machine. 8)
I have discovered why my Surface Pro 3 has been getting so warm. It's because I had the screen brightness set at 100%. Even if I reduce it, it was returning to 100% when the charger is plugged in. I have now changed the settings, and will make sure the brightness is turned well down when it is doing an update. It runs a lot cooler at 50%.
That's very interesting. I use mine exclusively indoors -- at home or in a café when I need to get out for a while -- so I almost never have the brightness above 50%. I do my early morning support sessions at 25%.

Tip: You can get a significant increase in SSD speed by turning off Bitlocker full disk encryption, which is on by default. If you need to protect it against access when stolen etc. that's not an option, but otherwise it makes a big difference.

I'm liking mine more and more. I originally got it for testing, so I got the basic i5 with only 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD. If it wasn't for the non-removable battery I'd be tempted to sell it and get the i7 Surface Pro 4 as my main computer (which have the latest i7s that run much cooler and can actually be used in a machine like this). The problem is that having it plugged in all the time every day would destroy the battery, and it being non-replaceable basically makes the unit as disposable as a Kleenex. So you have to actively keep the battery healthy by always running on battery and recharging at between 20% and 40%. That's currently my main reason for staying with my Lenovo laptop as my main machine, and my only major complaint. A slot-in battery block flush with the back as on the old Macbook Pros would make it perfect.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.