New Word Output - Creating Version History

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

lgschwind

New Word Output - Creating Version History

Unread post by lgschwind »

The new Word output in H&M 7 is GREAT! And perfect timing for a business need that come up. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how to easily maintain a version history? In the PDF I used the Forward page with a text snippet and each project had a Revision_HIstory.xml topic with a Revision History table. The only think I can think of is to create a final chapter for Document Controls and maintain the table there; I would just rather it be a separate section than an actual chapter heading.

Any other ideas? Thanks!
Lisa
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: New Word Output - Creating Version History

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Lisa,

You can't currently use snippets in the Word DOCX templates, as you have discovered. So this does need to be a topic in your project, or a snippet managed externally (for example as a topic in a snippet project) inserted in a topic in your project.
I would just rather it be a separate section than an actual chapter heading.
That isn't possible with Help & Manual because you need to create a section (i.e. an additional page) in your Word template, and without snippet support you can't fill it. Word has an identical function called linked files, but that doesn't help because it would always insert the same file -- you can't use a Help & Manual variable for the linked file name. So for the time being you'll have to use a Help & Manual topic as part of the TOC. :?
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.