Issues Using Courier Font

Please post all questions and comments regarding Help & Manual 7 here.

Moderators: Alexander Halser, Tim Green

Barry Klatzkin

Issues Using Courier Font

Unread post by Barry Klatzkin »

I am using Courier for my Code Example font. When I publish as a PDF, it displays the relevant text in very strangely-spaced Arial (the Normal font in this project.)

This is how it appears in the HMXP:
Courier HMXP.jpg
And here is the PDF output:
courier broken pdf.jpg
Is this a bug? Is there a workaround?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Green
Site Admin

Re: Issues Using Courier Font

Unread post by Tim Green »

Hi Barry,

This is a combination of a printer driver issue and that particular Courier font not being available on the computer where the PDF is being displayed. It is being substituted by Windows and the kerning values (spacing between the letters) in the driver you are using are not working for the substitution font.

H&M uses a printer driver to generate PDFs. You can access the reference printer driver settings in View > Program Options > PDF. By default, H&M will use the screen device driver, but you can often get better results by using a real printer driver. By the same token, some screen and printer drivers can also cause problems, particularly optimized drivers from printer manufacturers. It is generally better to use one of the standard drivers supplied with Windows.

If you have Windows Vista or later, we recommend using the Microsoft XPS Document Writer driver included with these versions of Windows. It produces good results and is always pre-installed. You just need to select it as your reference driver. Otherwise you can activate and select one of the known good standard drivers included with Windows. You don't have to actually have the physical printer. Just add the driver with Add Printer in the printer section of the Windows Control Panel and then select it as your reference driver in Help & Manual. The standard LaserJets and DeskJets are usually also a good choice.

If you continue to have problems with Courier, first try selecting Courier New instead of the standard Courier. If the problems persist, try embedding it in your PDF by making sure that it is included in Configuration > Publishing Options > PDF > Font Embedding.
Regards,
Tim (EC Software Documentation & User Support)

Private support:
Please do not email or PM me with private support requests -- post to the forum directly.
Barry Klatzkin

Re: Issues Using Courier Font

Unread post by Barry Klatzkin »

Thanks, Tim. I appreciate the response.